Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few books by Karen Pryor and Mike ritlands team dog.

What's the best dog training books ?

·
Super Moderator
5,203 Posts
Have a look here - don't be put off by the thread date being 2014, it has been updated with edits since it was started.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I'll add to this that I think one or two of the books from Cesar Milan have value. I'm an outlier with this opinion, because his training methods get a lot of flack in the community and the "alpha" and "pack" assumptions have been largely debunked.

That said, if you read intelligently and listen to what he says about one concept in particular, namely "calm assertive" and "energy" then he's telling you what you will find in most books, namely that dogs take YOUR body language cues as cues for their own behaviour as well. What Milan does, and what I appreciate about it, is that he relates it as a general "how to act around the dog so the dog stays calm" approach, whereas in most books I've read you get a list of "rules" and "tactics" with little to no broader context.

If you do take this advice then you need to try reading past the "alpha" and "pack" stuff because there is much better information out there for actually training a dog, but the "calm assertive energy" thing that a lot of new dog owners will relate to and can integrate with success.

Again, I have to point out that I stand pretty much alone with this opinion but I continue to reject this taboo because I don't believe in throwing out the baby with the bathwater. YMMV.

·
Registered
956 Posts
BTW from the list above, the onese that I read more than once because I the information was particularly valuable to me were "Mine!" from Donaldson and "Decoding Your Dog". Both of those books were written by people who have vast experience and the information is based on our best understanding of the science. That's something that really appeals to me.

·
Super Moderator
5,203 Posts
I don't think you really are as alone in that thought as you believe @dogslife . I think we direct people away from Milan because too many people lack the experience to be able to filter the good stuff from the bad.

It's a little bit like some people follow political figureheads - 'if XXXX said it, it must be true' - without questioning it.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
My personal recommendation is "Bones Would Rain From The Sky" by Suzanne Clothier.

This is not a dog training book as such in that it doesn't give tips and step by step instructions or techniques. But it is the most valuable book you can read if you have a dog, especially if you have one that needs training, in my opinion.

Suzanne believes (as do I) that living with and training any dog is all about the relationship between the owner and the dog. Without a good relationship you won't achieve the kind of casual, caring and easy stress free situation that everyone wants with the animal with whom they live.

I have taken seminars from Suzanne and have gained oceans of knowledge from her teachings and trainings. She can revolutionize the way a person sees their dog, and that change can make all the difference for both the dog and the person.
And on top of all that, it's a really well written and interesting book, and not dense or hard to get through at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts