Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a 9 year old pit bull and I think it's time I get him a new harness. He walks really great on leash, but he will sometimes tug a little when he sees people because he loves to say hi to everyone. We've been using the PetSafe Easy Walk Harness on him but it doesn't sit right on him due to his wider chest so we have to attach it to his collar, which causes him to choke when he gets excited. The material also rubs against his skin too much.

What is a good harness that is both comfortable and helps with mild pulling? Thank you!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Mild pitbull pulling... That sounds like being chained to a bulldozer. ;) In pitbull pulling competitions (whatever you think of them) the record is 8000lbs... ok, it's on rails but still...

What's good about the harness you have is the ring on the front that will pull him off balance (assuming that's where you attach the lead). Without that you might find that pulling is worse. I think the harness you had is probably more or less what you will need. I would shop around for something similar that is more adjustable for his chest. What you probably don't want is something that goes around his neck. Your dog is powerful and you don't want him to hurt himself.

Now, on the topic of pulling: What I've tried -- and I'm offering this only as a tip -- is to thoroughly teach the "stop and wait" command, whatever you call that. As soon as the dog starts to pull I call "wait" and then make the dog stand still for as long as it takes for the ears to go back down and for him to be "reachable" (as in Earth-to-Timmy... my dog's name is Timmy). So I make him "wait" and then when I see the ears go down I say "OK" or "Look" and if he responds to that by looking at me then I know I can reach him and we resume walking. The command to resume walking is "Let's go".

These are all custom things that I've developed for this specific dog because it was the only thing that stopped him from pulling. Early on I realised that pulling back wasn't going to work. In my case I have a fairly small dog so I could pull back and win but against a determined pitbull, you're just luggage if he doesn't want to listen. The approach I mentioned above cut the pulling by about 80%. He's still reactive to cats (and rabbits and rats) and he still can't wait to greet other dogs, especially ones he knows, but it's a LOT better than it was when it was just a contest of wills.

As I said, this is just a tip. If it helps, you're welcome. If not, that's ok.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts