Dog Forum banner

Best Dog Food

4K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  terriermommy 
#1 ·
I want to know what you guys think is the absolute best dog food I can feed my new goldendoodle puppy. Make suggestions as if money was no object.

#3 ·
Well if money was truly no problem, then I'd hire a personal doggie chef who works along side a holistic veterinarian to create nutritionally correct organic meals daily for my pooch -- since that ain't going to happen I would suggest Honest Kitchen and Orijen for a kibble. With that said, all dogs are different and what the best combination or kibble for my dog won't be the best food for yours.

#6 ·
I truly think a well-balanced raw diet is the best, but truthfully the best dog food is the one your dog does the best on, so you might have to experiment a little bit. My dogs are currently both on Acana singles (lamb) and are doing quite well.

#8 ·
HAHAHA YES x1,000!

While I refuse to feed my dog kibbles and bits, the only other food she's really taken to is the Blue Seal Naturals 26. She didn't like Blue Buffalo or Call of the Wild a dozen other ones that we tried at the pet food store. She liked the Blue Seal brands as a whole and they are "good enough" nutrition wise.

Most dogs have no issue with raw. :p but it can be expensive to do right.

#9 ·
I too believe you should feed what your dog does the best on.......but I am also a believer in 'variety'.....I feel that because I feed her this way I will never run in to the problem of having to switch foods in case of a recall, formula change, or unavailability. I can feed this way because my girl has no digestion ills or problems with it , she has a tummy of iron! I also like what Dr Karen Becker says about switching / rotating foods to avoid getting food allergies (see her video on Youtube called 'How to Control Food Allergies by Dr. Karen Becker')
Right now we do 50% raw (chicken, beef, lamb,pork, commercial raw, canned, etc. ) 30-40% Commercial (kibble) and 10-20% 'Variety' ( 'healthy' leftovers, dairy, eggs, veggies, etc)
Molly is healthy, has a gorgeous coat, her teeth are white (She's never had to have a dental) and she's never been sick or has had to go to the Vet other than to get spayed! She is 4 years old. I also follow a minimal vaccine schedule per Dr Dodds.

#11 ·
I really don't think there a "best" dog food. Each dog is unique and what is good for one dog may not be for another.

But if I had to answer your question directly, I don't think anything will beat a homemade BALANCED diet (raw or cooked). I do have to emphasize that the key is "balanced" and so you need to follow a recipe formulated by an expert (lots of great books out there).

As far as commercial products, I like Primal (if you're okay with feeding raw). If you're looking for dry food than Orijen and Taste of the Wild are my two favorites.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.