Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 English Springer Spaniels that are 2 years old. They are brother and sister.

I currently feed them everything from Blue Buffalo.

A few months ago they were on the Blue Buffalo Wilderness brands in hunting season for the extra protein, so that they would perform well in the field. I had troubles with the female not wanting to eat it, so I mixed in some of the Blue Canned food and she seemed to deal with it.

Well a few months has passed and they are back on the regular Blue formula, currently Lamb and Rice....First bag went well, just bought the 2nd bag on Sunday and my female does not want to touch it, she will pick out the soft food and leave the rest. Meanwhile, my male gobbles it down (he is not picky)

I am not sure what to do. I am thinking maybe I need a brand switch for her because it just seems as though she doesnt want the Blue Buffalo anymore. I hate to do this because Blue seems like a good food, but I want her to eat.

Before Blue, they were on Diamond and seemed to like it, but I am not going back to that after all of those recalls. Also considered Taste of the Wild, but that was on the recall list as well.

Any help or insight would be appreciated !!

THANK YOU TO ALL !!

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
What you could try is see if there is a specific can formula she likes, and just mix it really (and I mean really) well with the kibble and let it "soak" for a couple of minutes and then see if she eats it.

Other then that other good brands are Taste of the Wild, Wellness, Orijen. Those are the ones I know about.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried all of the canned foods, and she loves them all. I mean , who wouldnt ! They could pass for human food !! I give them a mix of all of the Blue's Stew. If i Had to guess I would say that she likes the Beef the most.

I dont want to force her to eat something she doesnt want to. I used to give them Diamond and they ate that without having to mix anything in. I have read that sometimes the Blue Buffalo may be too rich for some dogs....

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Maybe you're feeding her too much? What if you cut down the portion size? How long have you been feeding BB?

·
Banned
419 Posts
Sounds like you are letting her train you what to feed her. You are indulging her fussiness.
I would put it down for 20 minutes. If she doesn't eat it, then she has to wait until next feeding time. A healthy dog won't starve itself.

·
Banned
191 Posts
bhaur has it right. The first 5 posts in this thread concentrate on what you can do to make your dog happy. As long as you have that mindset the dog will take advantage of it from now until the day one of you dies. You should be thinking what can this dog to to make ME happy.

Like bhaur says, put his food down and move away from it. Don't do anything to encourage the dog to eat. No begging, bribing, cajoling ... nothing. Let the dog decide she wants to eat. After 20 minutes if she is not eating, pick her food up and put it away. Don't put it away for an hour or so. No more food until next meal time. No snacks nor treats until next meal time. Don't feel guilty. Don't feel like you are starving your dog. You aren't. You are putting food down and she is deciding whether or not to eat it. Stick with this until she eats it. She won't starve herself. My Thor lasted 8 days one time. Now he eats every meal regardless of what I feed him. Occasionally he will miss a meal but he gets the same meal next time until he eats it.

If you cave and the dog wins, she is Empress Queen Mistress of the house forever.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been feeeding her Blue Buffalo since the Diamond Recall that happened I think
in May 2012. They loved the Diamond food, but because of the recalls, I just have decided not to go back to it.

I started her out on Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice and she seemed to eat that. Then in hunting season I switched them over to the Wilderness Chicken for more protein and fat for endurance, and She ABSOLUTELY refused that, so I tried the Duck/Turkey Wilderness Blend and she ate that for the entire hunting season, without hesitation. I just hate to keep them on a 35% Protein 15% fat formula in the offseason, i dont want them to get super overweight because I dont run them as often.

I figured a change of pace as hunting season was over and picked up a bag of the Lamb. Maybe I should try the Blue Basics Turkey Formula? I see that Blue Wilderness also has a new blend of 30% protein and 10% FAT...thought of trying that to keep their muscles ripped and keep their fat down...

Also gave the wellness core brand some thought.

THANKS ALL FOR YOUR HELP ON THIS TOPIC !!!

·
Banned
191 Posts
I think you are way overthinking this. If your dogs get fat, feed less ... if they get thin, feed more. It's as simple as that. Anything more is just adding unnecessary complication to a very simple task, feeding a dog.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
If she loved the wilderness duck/turkey stick to it (or add some of the canned to your current food). If they gain weight, feed less.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
purina one smart blend. great ingredients.
Smart Blend Chicken
Ingredients: Chicken (natural source of glucosamine), brewers rice, corn gluten meal, whole grain corn, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain wheat, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of vitamin E), soy flakes, soybean meal, animal digest, menadione sodium bisulfite

Before you make a statement like that you should look up some of these ingredients.
All of the grains used are junk
by-products more junk
animal fat is old restaurant grease that has been reprocessed
animal digest more junk.
menadione sodium bisulfite
And, based on German research…some of the negative effects of menadione are…
• causes cytotoxicity in liver cells
• damages the natural vitamin K cycle
• causes hemolytic anemia and hyperbilirubinemia, not just linked to large doses
• is directly toxic in high doses (vomiting, albuminuria), unlike natural vitamin K
• has never been researched or specifically approved for long term use, such as in pet food
• FDA has banned synthetic vitamin K from over-the-counter supplements because of its high toxicity

·
Registered
170 Posts
An animal that is fed to the point of obesity can happen no matter what food you choose. Allowing an animal to become so unhealthy is abuse. Using Pro Plan isn't abuse as long as it is fed properly.
Agreed, but calling a kibble "crap" because it's Ol Roy or Dog Chow (whether right in opinion or wrong) seems to be judging someone's feeding choice.

·
Banned
419 Posts
Agreed, but calling a kibble "crap" because it's Ol Roy or Dog Chow (whether right in opinion or wrong) seems to be judging someone's feeding choice.
Pro Plan is a superior choice to Ol Roy or Dog Chow. Maybe I SHOULDN'T have referred to Ol Roy or Dog Chow as crap... you are right about that.
If a dog owner is doing their personal best, I don't care if someone feeds Ol Roy. My old dog Boomer was on Ol Roy a majority of his life and he lived to be well into his teens (and he was an XL dog).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts