Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 4 month old French Bulldog. Just want to reach out and ask you guys which kibble you would recommend to keep a healthy coat. I would like to keep my puppy's coat nice and soft even when his adult coat comes in. I am currently feeding him Fromm Gold Holistic Puppy dry dog food.

Please share you experiences!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
It depends on the dog, really. Some dogs do really well off all grains, some need grains. Some dogs do really well on a high protein diet, others need a lower protein diet. It's a lot of trial and error.

Personally, I stick with foods with named meats- duck or chicken as opposed to poultry. I prefer meats to be most of the first 5 ingredients. I would avoid corn and wheat even if I were feeding grains. (I don't, my dog gets ear infections if he eats grains.) I also won't buy a food with sugar, food colouring, BHT or menadione in it.

Other than that, make sure to rotate proteins regularly. The reason chicken is such a common allergy in dogs is that almost all grocery store foods are chicken based. Anything you get exposed to day in and day out for years can lead to an allergy, so it's best to rotate. I do a bag of lamb, then fish, then pork, then duck, repeat.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Hi, I have a 4 month old French Bulldog. Just want to reach out and ask you guys which kibble you would recommend to keep a healthy coat. I would like to keep my puppy's coat nice and soft even when his adult coat comes in. I am currently feeding him Fromm Gold Holistic Puppy dry dog food.

High quality, high protein= shiny coat Orijen is a good choice. Best quality and highest protein. If you choose to switch make sure you do it slowly by mixing old food to new. Small amount the first week more the second and so on. By doing this you will allow your pup to adjust to the new food without stomach issues.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Fromm Gold is a well regarded food so if there isn't anything "off" going on with your dog diet-wise you'd do well to continue to feed it. Consistency is a good thing in a puppy's life :). If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Small amounts of fresh foods here and there, such as eggs, sardines, or cottage cheese, couldn't hurt. A little fish oil is a good thing but *do not* add vegetable oils. They are very high in Omega 6 fats which your dry food is already supplying in optimum amounts.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I've had great luck with Orijen six fish and Acana Pacifica because of the level of Omegas. If your dog is doing great on the current food it's on, you can always add coconut oil or a fish oil supplement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts