I'm not in the US so I can't advise on brands. However, look for foods with clearly labelled ingredients and a good proportion of named meats the first ingredient. Ingredients in a food will be listed in order, with the highest proportions first.
So, for example, a food label that reads like this -
will be a lot better than one that reads like this -
Cereals (4% Rice in Rice Component), Meat and Animal Derivatives (4% Chicken in Chicken Component), Oils and Fats (0.3% Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Derivatives of Vegetable Origin, Minerals, Vegetables (4% Peas in Pea Component)
The second one is mainly cereal, and you don't know how much meat and which types of meat are in it. You only know that just 4% of the chicken component is actually chicken - so what is the other meat, and what is the other 96% of the chicken component made up of? So it's poorly labelled, and that is probably deliberate. It likely isn't with the express intention of being misleading, but it allows the manufacturers to change the ingredients (according to what is readily available) without reprinting the packaging.
With any food, it's a good idea to change gradually, replacing around 10% of the old food with new per day so over a 10 day period. This is because the bacteria in the digestive system need time to adjust and this approach helps avoid upset tummies.
Hi I work in a pet store can I can definitely advise some good dog food brands that are high in protein and low in carb.
you can always calculate out the amount of carb by taking 100% and subtracting the garyanteed analysis and subtracting 6 for ash (the vitamin and mineral spray).
I personally never stick to the same kibble. I have two chocolate bags and I usually buy one 10-15 pound bag of one brand, and once it starts to get to the bottom I add in a 3-5 pound bag of another brand to add variety and boost my dogs immune system. Since different brands have different recipes which means a change of amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and ingredients.
I try to stay away from high glycemic index carbs like potato’s and grains.
Brands that have a high protein and low carb dry food are:
Zignature, Essence, Farmina, Acana, and Orijen.
All of these brands do safe farming, and have a ratio of 60% ingredients from animal meat or higher.
I would also add cans, bone broths, dehydrated, freeze dried, and or raw too into your pets diet to help them thrive. Kibble is the least freshest food you can give your pet. Raw being the freshest and most ideal.
I personally stay away from any foods that have corn, wheat, soy, by-products, and grains.
Hello, I'm Denisse.
I was wondering on how many cups a day should my 3-month-old JRT eat. The breeder told me to give him only two meals a day with 1/4th cup each. That startled me a little as I know that puppies between these ages should be given at least three meals a day, or if possible...
HELP! Exceed Dog Food. Does anyone know where Members Mark Exceed (Sam's Club brand) is manufactured? A friend of mine is having trouble with four of her dogs. She has lost two to neurological problems in one week. She has switched food already, but now trying to get to the bottom of this...
What do you feed your Labs?
-food supplements as eggs and fish oils?
As lifetime owner of four "pet-quality" Labrador retrievers from BYBs, last owned in 2004, they would get Pedigree dry with a mix of Pedigree canned. They were also supplemented with fish...
Hi guys. I have a surplus of deer bones in my freezer right now. My guys eat them all raw, but I wanted to give some to a friend for her Aussie to enjoy. Her hubby is opposed to him eating raw food and bones, even though I've told them over and over how it's fine and the benefits, etc...
I am mom to a 4 1/2 year old Chessie/Pointer mix who usually has a frantic level of energy. Think if Adderall started using cocaine levels of energy.
The manufacturer of my dog's old food stopped making the only flavor she's not allergic to. So, after 4 bags of trial and error, I found...