Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The brush I have to brush my dog, Trucker, just does not work. The internet suggests a curry comb for brushing Redbones. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Trucker needs brushing pretty much everyday because he is so nervous, he was recently adopted Oct 16th, that he losses lots of his short little Redbone hairs.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
The only thing that I found that works for my dog Zody's short, single, coat is a KongZoom Groom. It's sort of on the line of a curry brush from what I understand. I decided to buy one out of desperation, because no other brush that I tried was working KONG Dog ZoomGroom, Boysenberry Firm If you get one from Chewy they are on sale for $5.

If you decide to get one, some tips I can give are. Brush Trucker outside, it gets a lot of hair off and you don't want it flying around the house unless you have a fetish for vacuuming. Make sure to use circular motions, moving down the dog, to bush him rather then long strokes. You can finish up with strokes to get the loosened hair off of him.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Rain @DobisHoundis I am going to look at PetsMart for a ZoomGroom brush today since I have a coupon there :) but if I can' find it I will be ordering one tonight.

Any thoughts on if those "bath wipes" are worth it? I don't want to force Trucker into a very scary situation for him yet but he has taken to rolling in the yard and smells HORRIBLE. :ponder:

Also, cutting or filing your own dogs nails if they are scared of others?:ponder:

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
223 Posts
@Rain @DobisHoundis I am going to look at PetsMart for a ZoomGroom brush today since I have a coupon there :) but if I can' find it I will be ordering one tonight.

Any thoughts on if those "bath wipes" are worth it? I don't want to force Trucker into a very scary situation for him yet but he has taken to rolling in the yard and smells HORRIBLE. :ponder:

Also, cutting or filing your own dogs nails if they are scared of others?:ponder:
Bath wipes are nice for wiping paws and getting dirt off, but they don't really take the stink away.

I cut my own dogs nails.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bath wipes are nice for wiping paws and getting dirt off, but they don't really take the stink away.

I cut my own dogs nails.
That's what I thought about the bath wipes. I think I am just going to deal with the stink :). Is it hard to cut their nails? He is fine with me touching his paws (that's how I warmed my cat up to nail cutting)?

·
Registered
223 Posts
That's what I thought about the bath wipes. I think I am just going to deal with the stink :). Is it hard to cut their nails? He is fine with me touching his paws (that's how I warmed my cat up to nail cutting)?
One of mine hates nail clipping and it took me 2 years just to let me take of tiny slivers. My other dogs are fine with it. Just make sure to take off tiny pieces at first, hitting the quick can set you back. They have thick black hard nails so it can be hard to find the quick. I cut small pieces off once a week to keep them maintained. I never cut off large chunks.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
I used to use the bath wipes for Zody, just to get surface dirt off, or if he rolled in something only mildly smelly to clean that part of him. The reason I stopped using them for anything other then paws, or a quick spot cleaning, is because I finally figured out that is what was causing him to look like he had dandruff. It seems that it leaves a white residue behind that flakes after it dries.

I'm beginning to have to cut his nails which he does not care for much. What I'm planning on doing is cutting one nail and giving him a high value treat, then cutting the next one and giving a great. If he seems to panic or get upset with that I'll scale it back to simply touching his claw with the clipper and giving a treat, over and over till he's happy with that then try cutting the nail.

If you simply need to get all the nails done and you have a helper, you can try stuffing a Kong with something really tasty, like really meat, peanut butter, plain yogurt, canned 100% pumpkin, or some canned cat food, freeze it, and have the worker hold the kong while he licks it. While he's occupied like that you may be able to cut his nails.

DobisHoundis is right you should take off small bits of nails unless you are lucky and he has white nails and you can see where the quick is. If you cut the quick you'll likely undo all your hard work and be back to square one

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.