Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Hi, I need some advice please guys.. Id really like a dog to complete my little family but I'm out at work for 5 1/2 hours a day mon to fri and need to know if that's fair on any dog? I have 2 children aged 5 & 7 and keep reading mixed info on different breeds so I'm finding it so hard to decide which particular breed will be suitable for us. I thought a cavalier King Charles would be but it's apparently not good at being by itself..... Help please ????

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I'd get an older mixed beed from the shelter or a dog from a breed specific rescue, that is already know to be okay with being alone a few hours.
I personally wouldn't get a puppy under these circumstances.
I also depends a lot on what you're planning to do with your dog in the time you're together with them.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Being gone from home for 6 hours a day is going to be just fine for a dog.

Breed is tricky. Dog's aren't like boxes of breakfast cereal where you decide if cornflakes, cheerios, or fruit loops is best for your family then you go get a box.

For dog breeds, knowing what breed it is when you buy it really tells you what to expect it to grow up to be physically (size, color, coat length, long ears vs short, etc). Issues like how a dog behaves, that's heavily dependent on how the dog was raised, and just the specifics of that individual dog.

Oh sure, there are some broad strokes such as Labradors generally love water, beagles generally are very interested in what their noses are telling them, etc.

But a lot of other stuff, you can't really say 'breed X will be Y' (good with kids, a good watch dog, lazy, active, whatever)

Good thing, though, regardless of what a dog's breed is, they tend to be very similar to their parents in behavior/personality. The key isn't to choose this breed or that breed, but to decide on a general TYPE (herding breeds, small breeds, whatever)and then find a BREEDER who has dogs that act like you would like your dog to act, and then regardless of what breed they are choosing, you found the dog for you.

·
Registered
893 Posts
What sort of things are you looking for in a dog? Are you an active family that wants to bring their dog along for camping trips, sports, etc? Or are you more of a laid back type of family? Do you have a size preference? Grooming preference? Climate can sometimes help narrow down options too (are you somewhere where you get very cold winters, very hot summers, etc). Sorry about all the questions, the more we know, the better we can help give you good suggestions. :)

Another way to find a good fit, is to go on different rescue websites or petfinder or adopt-a-pet and find local rescues/shelters and read the different bios to see what you find will be suitable for your lifestyle.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I do too believe that a little older dog would make a better family member in your situation. I do think that labs and golden retrievers are known for calmer dogs, who would make sweet family members!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ditto an older mixed breed from the shelter,.

Or, even a purebred that belonged to Aunt Nellie who passed away and the family didn't want to care for the dog, as they had promised her they would.

What ever you settle on, you need to keep two things first and foremost:

1. The dog has to get along with children.

1.1. It will be your responsibility to teach your children the proper way to interact with a dog.

2. Get a dog that is already established as a couch potato. The last thing a new dog owner wants is a high energy dog that has to be kept locked up much of the day. That is just asking for the house to get chewed down and a host of other bad behaviors.

Be honest with the shelter and know that what ever money they ask covers neuter or spay of the dog, it's shots and worming, heart worm test, and de-fleaing. They operate on a shoe string budget, and don't make a profit off the adoption fees.

Save a quiet, adult dog at your local shelter. If you do, it will probably be better behaved than your children<-------I can say that, I raised a son and all his cousins spent weekends on our farm:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts