Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got 2 in my Amazon basket:

Don't shoot the dog and
Before and after getting your puppy - a positive approach...
Are these the best 2, considering it may be a rescue dog?

I'm intending to use positive, clicker training, absolutely no punishment and I'm not yet convinced by crate training but am looking to learn more.

The dog will be a retriever of some kind and won't be left alone except very occasionally.

I'd also love to get the DVDs by the lady who does the 'kikopup' youtube videos but they're a bit out of my price range.

Also, any tips for the best clicker to get? I'm likely to drop it a lot.

Also (and just for fun) it's not a very strange looking dog in my avatar! (It's my favourite type of fish.)

·
Registered
22,639 Posts
those are both good books, definitely crate train your dog ;) even if you don't intend to crate him/her regularly, it will relieve loads of stress from everybody if he/she is conditioned to it, especially if you have any sort of emergency or travel with the dog.

as far as the type of clicker, i have a bunch of cheapy ones that i get from my local pet store for 1-2 dollars, they work well for me... other people tend to like the "star-mark" clicker because it is softer (some dogs are afraid of the click) but i've not found it to be necessary...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I'd like to know more about crate training in that case - they seem like good reasons. Any pointers of where I can find the best information?

·
Registered
22,639 Posts

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Puppy primer by Patricia McConnel is my favorite!
I would link you but I am on hubbys I phone and
don't have mad sklz yet!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
42 Posts
The For Dummies books are really good and I'm sure they have one based on puppies. I bought one on tropical fish once and it's the first book I look to on information.

Loving the Bristlenose in your profile pic! I have a few myself and they are AWESOME! :D

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I loved don't shoot the dog. Very helpful in understanding the concept of clicker training.
kikopup is on utube free nothing to buy
kikopup's Channel - YouTube
The clicker is a great way to train look at this 2 month old lab
Puppy: 2 Month Yellow Lab Tricks - YouTube
The youtube vids kikopup does are free but there is also a DVD pack available from her that I'd like, but it's out of my price range. That said, the youtube videos are really quite comprehensive!

I've seen this video of the lab. Thanks for posting it. This guy is so lovely with the dog!

I've been reading the free download and it's extremely informative.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Loving the Bristlenose in your profile pic! I have a few myself and they are AWESOME! :D
I hadn't thought of the for dummies books. I like them too.

Glad you like BNs. They're full of character. I have one who belly flops on any fish who dares to have a go at 'his' food and another who sweeps his tail in the general direction of anyone who thinks they can have a nibble too! They never hurt the other fish though.

My favourite thing about them is that it's daddy that looks after the eggs!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts