Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4.5 month old Bernese mountain dog puppy (female). She is one of the few Berners that aren't fluffy from birth...her fur is much more shiny and short. Because of this it's really easy to see how thin she is!

I feed her 2 cups of food twice a day (Hills Science Diet large breed puppy food) so 4 cups total daily.

She had round worm at her first vet visit, but was given meds to treat it. Last vet appt the problem was not addressed so I assume the worms are gone.

She weighs just around 29lbs...but I have gotten many comments on her looking too thin. Does anyone have any insight?? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I have a 4.5 month old Bernese mountain dog puppy (female). She is one of the few Berners that aren't fluffy from birth...her fur is much more shiny and short. Because of this it's really easy to see how thin she is!

I feed her 2 cups of food twice a day (Hills Science Diet large breed puppy food) so 4 cups total daily.

She had round worm at her first vet visit, but was given meds to treat it. Last vet appt the problem was not addressed so I assume the worms are gone.

She weighs just around 29lbs...but I have gotten many comments on her looking too thin. Does anyone have any insight?? Thanks! :)
I would have the dog rechecked for worms, dont assume anything. I would also change to a more nutritional food. SD is very low quality. Lots of filler not enough meat protein
This is a list of 5 star puppy foods

Best 5-Star Dry Puppy Foods
Acana Dog Food (Dry)
Acana Regionals Grain-Free (Dry)
Amicus Dog Food (Dry)
Annamaet Grain Free (Dry)
Back to Basics Dog Food (Dry)
Blue Buffalo Wilderness (Dry)
By Nature Organics (Dry)
Canidae Single Grain Protein Plus (Dry)
DNA Dog Food (Dehydrated)
Dogswell LiveFree (Dry)
Dr. Harvey’s Oracle Dog Food (Dry)
Dr. Tim’s Dog Food (Dry)
Dr. Tim’s Grain Free Dog Food (Dry)
Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural (Dry)
EVO Dog Food (Dry)
Farmina N&D Grain Free Dog Food (Dry)
Go! Fit and Free (Dry)
Great Life Grain Free (Dry)
Holistic Blend Grain Free (Dry)
Honest Kitchen Dog Food (Dehydrated)
Horizon Legacy (Dry)
I and Love and You Nude Food (Dry)
Infinia Dog Food (Dry)
Innova Prime Grain Free (Dry)
Nature’s Logic (Dry)
Nature’s Variety Instinct (Dry)
Nature’s Variety Instinct Raw Boost (Dry)
Nutram Grain Free Dog Food (Dry)
Nutrisca Dog Food (Dry)
Orijen Dog Food (Dry)
Pinnacle Peak Protein Formula (Dry)
Pioneer Naturals Grain Free (Dry)
Primal Freeze-Dried Formula (Freeze-Dried)

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Do not go by what the general public says about your dogs weight, go by what your vet says. Most of the general public has no idea what a dog at the proper weight should look like and when they see one they think it is to thin. Most of the general public think that overweight dogs are at an ideal weight.

A large breed dog like you have should not be allowed to get overweight, it will cause health problems later in life, BUT you do not want to underfeed your pup since that can cause growth problems.

Please talk to your vet about your concerns about your pups weight and see what he has to say about it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I would be careful with high protein food with a giant breed dog. Get away from Hills, because it really is awful, but try to find some reliable recommendations for good quality food that is safe for a growing large breed dog. I've heard of people using ALS foods like TOTW and Canidae, or adult food.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Can you post some pictures of her?

Reactions: AllieD

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow thanks for the answers everyone. Definitely won't be listening to the breeder anymore...according to her Hills SD is 'one of the best'.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was just having this issue with my Brazilian mastiffs. When we got them from the shelter they had worms, then from flees we encountered tape worms. Sadly they were very thin and we switched their food and that didn't help. We just switched them to pro purina large breed puppy. I love it, I'm very happy with the results they are finally putting on the pounds. Give it a shot and if that doesn't work well for you switch to another dog food that is higher in fat and protein maybe something without grains and fillers, though that is going to get rather expensive for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts