Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I couldn't seem to find the 'right' place for this thread, so I thought this would be a suitable place.

A little new here, Im from the big WA state. My family has had its share of dog experiences, mostly mutts if you so wish. We had a brilliant little dog, that we believe was a springer cross lab. though we only knew the springer was the mother.

weve had a lab back in the 70s, and a border in the 80s. We're in Australia now, and my mom has been wanting a dog. Of course I have a love for berners, and have been trying to convince the other family members that a berner will be bags of fun. Though my mother wants a flat-coated, or Labrador, or a golden, though they're a bout $600++.

My mother seems to have this false impression that a berner is about the same size as a Great Pyrenees (which I saw a 9 months old dwarf an alastian, and fell in love with it; when i was 12 though). We live in a BRILLIANT area to take these kinds of dogs for walks, theres a huge estuary(40mi sq.), lots of walk paths, 10 minutes to the beach...

My mom has bad allergies to dogs moulting too, a golden retriver, or lab moulting is fine. A malamute would be a killer.

Any factual information, with strong references should help my case

PS. Our next door neighbours have a beagle, and the others have a ball of fluff(a Maltese X Shih Tzu). Our friends have brought their staffy which has been a great character.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi and welcome to the dog forum BernerGregg! I wanted to give you a link that will give you info on the Berner breed and any other you might be looking at.
Dog Breed Info Center®, DBI

It is very helpful and lists the breeds and their stats in an easy to read unbiased manner.

While I've met many Berners, I've never owned one. And for what it is worth, Im going to side with your mom on the size. They are very large and Great Pyrenees and Berners are very similar in size. While Berners may not be quit as tall as a Pyre can reach, Berners are heavy and bulkier.
I hope this link help you and your family out. Please let us know what your family decided to get!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts