Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 9 month-old Samoyed puppy who came home 10 days ago. He is an intact male who squats to pee. In the 10 days he's been home I have had to give him an "undercarriage" bath 3 times because his belly gets crusty. Our previous Sammy was also a squatter but never had that problem. Is this possibly related to his state of being intact still?

·
Registered
145 Posts
We have a 9 month-old Samoyed puppy who came home 10 days ago. He is an intact male who squats to pee. In the 10 days he's been home I have had to give him an "undercarriage" bath 3 times because his belly gets crusty. Our previous Sammy was also a squatter but never had that problem. Is this possibly related to his state of being intact still?
What do you mean by his being intact still?

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Nothing to do with being neutered, everything to do with his aim. My long haired terrier mix was neutered at 8 months old and never had a problem, either before or after his surgery, with peeing on his undercarriage. I did do a sanitary groom down there, but could have just as easily left the belly hair long with out any issue.

Now, Zody, my very short, slick, haired chi x dach is a totally different story. That boy would completely wet his belly hair if it was long, as it is he consistently manages to pee on the girth strap of his harness no matter how tight it is. He also will occasionally manage to pee on his front leg. I've only half kidding asked the vet if he could readjust Zody's aim....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nothing to do with being neutered, everything to do with his aim. My long haired terrier mix was neutered at 8 months old and never had a problem, either before or after his surgery, with peeing on his undercarriage. I did do a sanitary groom down there, but could have just as easily left the belly hair long with out any issue.

Now, Zody, my very short, slick, haired chi x dach is a totally different story. That boy would completely wet his belly hair if it was long, as it is he consistently manages to pee on the girth strap of his harness no matter how tight it is. He also will occasionally manage to pee on his front leg. I've only half kidding asked the vet if he could readjust Zody's aim....
I agree with rain it's probably with your dog's aim so after peeing his fur should be cleaned to make it not crusty.

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
Don't like it - Vet, vet, vet!

We have a 9 month-old Samoyed puppy, [a recent arrival]. He is an intact male who squats to pee.

In the 10 days he's been home, I have had to bathe his "undercarriage" 3 times because his belly gets crusty.

Our previous Sammy was also a squatter but never had that problem.
Is this possibly related to his... being intact?
"crusty" would worry me.

Has he been seen by a vet? // I'd take him in ASAP & ask about it. 'Wet' is not the same as "crusty"; i wonder if he's secreting mucus, producing abnormal amounts of smegma, has a UTI, etc. :(

- terry

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
"crusty" would worry me.

Has he been seen by a vet? // I'd take him in ASAP & ask about it. 'Wet' is not the same as "crusty"; i wonder if he's secreting mucus, producing abnormal amounts of smegma, has a UTI, etc. :(

- terry

I took it to mean like what would happen with Shadow's (long haired terrier) sheath's fur if I did not keep it trimmed. The pee would dry on it and the fur would become stuck together and crusty. If I let his belly fur grow long enough then the sheath's fur would touch it and that too would get crusty.

Not having seen the OP's dog, I do agree with erring on the side of caution and am glad you mentioned the other things that could be causing the problem

Reactions: leashedForLife
1 - 7 of 7 Posts