Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bella has been coughing for a whole week. It was getting better and she stopped for a day now she is back to coughing her vet said it was just throat irritation and to get her antibiotics for 15 days but I have already ran out at just 7 days so I did not get my full 15 days so I called the vet to see about getting more. I can only get them though if they are free of charge since I didn't get my full amount last monday

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Bella has been coughing for a whole week. It was getting better and she stopped for a day now she is back to coughing her vet said it was just throat irritation and to get her antibiotics for 15 days but I have already ran out at just 7 days so I did not get my full 15 days so I called the vet to see about getting more. I can only get them though if they are free of charge since I didn't get my full amount last monday
I suggest finding a new vet.

You've had this issue for what seems like a long time. Antibiotics cure infection. If the vet prescribed antibiotics, they must think it's more than just an irritation...

I'm not sure where you live, but ask the vet if it could be an allergy to something outside... or even inside?

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They said they gave her the antibiotics as a precautionary measure just in case there was some infection in her throat or if was actually Kennel cough starting but it doesn't sound anything like kennel cough sounds. She also gave it to prevent it from turning into an infection. She also said she was prescribing it since she was to get spayed 2 days later and it would prevent any infection of the incision site I have to go tomorrow to get another week worth of antibiotics since I wasn't given the full amount last week

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She thought it was that because Bella started choking when she was eating and the cough has been going on since then off and on so She thinks the food scratched her throat

·
Registered
529 Posts
I would most certainly go for a second opinion, sooner than later! :(

·
Registered
661 Posts
It doesn't make sense to prescribe antibiotics for an "irritated" throat because food scratched it. If the vet thought it might be an infection he should have taken a culture to see which bacteria. If it was a virus or an irritated throat, then the antibiotics are useless, and only serve to trash your dog's gut for nothing, antibiotics kill both good and bad bacteria.

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The antibiotics have helped some, She is not coughing as often or as forceful They just did not give me enough of it. I'm going for another bottle tomorrow I can't afford the other vet's where I live they charge 45$ just to show up and over 150 for an xray and medicines are over 30, I have spent over 300$ in the past 2 months on her spay shots and the monday visit so I'm running low on money right now, I have enough saved up to buy her dog food and flea medicine for a few months but not enough to spend another 2-300 at the vet right now. Where I go is one of the cheaper vets where I live. I have always went there. She said she is 99% sure it was just throat irritation based on her symptoms and gave her the antibiotics as a precaution just in case it was kennel cough they didn't test her for it because based on her symptoms they did not really believe it was it. I like that vet because they are the only place nearby that will allow me to go pick up certain medications without a vet visit such as dewormer I can go get dewormer if I see worms in her poop without having to do a fecal

·
Registered
661 Posts
@Bryansgirl, was I not clear enough? A vet giving out antibiotics for an irritated throat is bad medicine. You give antibiotics for a bacterial infection, and a vet should culture to see what the bacteria it is. Willynilly prescribing of antibiotics is the reason we have antibiotic resistance and it can also lead to an imbalance of the dog's gut flora so next you will find that your dog is allergic to certain proteins (leads to leaky gut so the proteins get into the blood stream), and you get the itches, ear infections, etc, etc.

You might like the vet and she might be reasonable, but then you need to educate yourself so you can be a better advocate for your dog and their health.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
@Bryansgirl, was I not clear enough? A vet giving out antibiotics for an irritated throat is bad medicine. You give antibiotics for a bacterial infection, and a vet should culture to see what the bacteria it is. Willynilly prescribing of antibiotics is the reason we have antibiotic resistance and it can also lead to an imbalance of the dog's gut flora so next you will find that your dog is allergic to certain proteins (leads to leaky gut so the proteins get into the blood stream), and you get the itches, ear infections, etc, etc.

You might like the vet and she might be reasonable, but then you need to educate yourself so you can be a better advocate for your dog and their health.
I agree with you there however @Bryansgirl has said they have just spent $3000? in vet bill over last two months and short on money so i can see where both of you are coming from really. I know how it is having no money or being tight on it myself we all do at some stage. We need to try come up with other suggestions on bryansgirl can get better care whilst affording it.

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and If I was not clear enough I said the antibiotics were helping some.. That she has gotten better since being on the antibiotics so they are not Useless I just didn't get the amount I was supposed to. They told me it is possible for an irritated throat to get infected so they gave to to prevent an infection from occuring which it has worked really well she used to cough every 30 minutes now its maybe every 5-6 hours if that She has not coughed since 1 and it's 8 pm now so again the antibiotics have not been useless.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
and 300 in vet bills not 3000
Oops sorry my mistake. Might be good idea to get pet insurance and if in usa apply for care credit for when you really need to use it at vets?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
we have care credit but we owe them 1800$ our other dog had her teeth cleaned that was 600 my pit bull got sick and trying to save her we spent 900 and my dad got glasses with it so that's completely maxed out we only have 10$ of credit left. The interest is absolute Hell we have like 300$ just in interest charges

·
Registered
661 Posts
How do you know the antibiotics are working? If it wasn't a bacterial infection then they would have done nothing, and your dog is healing on her own.

All I am trying to get across here is vets are not infallible, and the diagnosis of an irritated throat from food is a bs diagnosis and prescribing antibiotics for that "condition" is laughable. But I am glad your dog is getting better.

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
irritated throats caused by food is actually really common. If a dog gets food stuck in their throat it can scratch it causing irritation. I've heard of it happening before. I think the vet was more trying to make sure no infection occurs that way I won't have to make another visit later on. She said it did not seem like kennel cough but she was going to prescribe antibiotics just in case it was

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.