Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bella is a poodle/terrier mix not sure what dad was. She sheds horribly, I can use a lint roller on my bed and go to sleep by morning hair is covering my bed again, My blanket is covered in dog hair, washing it doesn't seen to do any good because within just one night it is covered in hair again. I have little black hairs all over my bed and it's getting insane having to use a lint roller on my bed multiple times a day. It also takes about 6 lint roller sheets each time to get all the hair. Her hair isn't even long its actually really short hair What can I do to limit her shedding

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Well, I took the easy road - I have a black dog, so I got a dark comforter. I still have to wash the comforter every 1-2 weeks, but at least I don't have to look at the hair between washes! :)

There are some little things you can do to minimize or control shedding - feed a good food, add a bit of coconut oil to her food (or her coat and then wash out), and brush 1-2 times a day just to get it all off. Nothing is perfect, though, and in my experience short haired shedding can be more irritating to deal with because it's harder to rid of their undercoat.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
It's normal for shedding after being put under from her spaying. Keep brushing her, it will soon slow down and a new coat fill in.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Try a Kong ZoomGroom KONG Dog ZoomGroom, Boysenberry Firm It's the only thing that I've found that actually works to cut down shedding with Zody.

If you try one make sure to use it outside so that you don't end up with hair all over your house. Use circular motions, rather then strokes, to brush her, although you can use strokes to get the loosened hair off her coat.

Another trick if to keep your bed made up and cover the bed spread with an old sheet or blanket. The sheet will keep the worst of the shed hair and dirt off of you bed spread and sheet. I've always done that with my couch and it really cuts down on the amount of hair and dirt the dogs get / got on it.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I never understood why people use those throw away sheet lint brushes for most of their lint removal, and then have to go out and buy another one for a dollar or two, when clear back in the 1960's (and probably before then) they made and still make lint brushes that you can reuse over and over.

I use a lint brush to get the worst of things and then a lint sticky roller to pick up what's left and it makes the lint roller last a long long time...and often I don't even have to use the lint roller after using the brush.

Here are some examples, and they don't cost that much:

3 Swivel Magic Lint Brush Clothes Fabric Pet Hair Dust Dandruff Remover Cleaner | eBay

Libman Lint Brush-78 - The Home Depot

I agree with the old sheet over the bedspread at night - I always let my dogs on the bed, but they had to stay near the foot and I put an old sheet or blanket (depending upon the season) for them to lay on. In colder weather I usually had another blanket I could put over top of them to help them keep a little warmer as I've never been rich enough to keep my house real warm during the winter.
I didn't allow them on my sheets or under my blankets. I don't like loose hair in my bed...but somehow every morning I would wake up to the cat curled up on my pillow and against my head. :p

A nightly brushing of your dog might before going into the bedroom might work too.

I don't know about your dog, but some dogs also blow their coats a few times a year...shed excessively then it slows almost to a stop for the rest of the year until next time. It might be your dog is doing something like that too.

Stormy

·
Registered
900 Posts
A good quality food and brushing is basically all that can be done or don't let her on your bed. All dogs shed, so what did you expect? ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I never understood why people use those throw away sheet lint brushes for most of their lint removal, and then have to go out and buy another one for a dollar or two, when clear back in the 1960's (and probably before then) they made and still make lint brushes that you can reuse over and over.

I use a lint brush to get the worst of things and then a lint sticky roller to pick up what's left and it makes the lint roller last a long long time...and often I don't even have to use the lint roller after using the brush.

Here are some examples, and they don't cost that much:

3 Swivel Magic Lint Brush Clothes Fabric Pet Hair Dust Dandruff Remover Cleaner | eBay

Libman Lint Brush-78 - The Home Depot

I agree with the old sheet over the bedspread at night - I always let my dogs on the bed, but they had to stay near the foot and I put an old sheet or blanket (depending upon the season) for them to lay on. In colder weather I usually had another blanket I could put over top of them to help them keep a little warmer as I've never been rich enough to keep my house real warm during the winter.
I didn't allow them on my sheets or under my blankets. I don't like loose hair in my bed...but somehow every morning I would wake up to the cat curled up on my pillow and against my head. :p

A nightly brushing of your dog might before going into the bedroom might work too.

I don't know about your dog, but some dogs also blow their coats a few times a year...shed excessively then it slows almost to a stop for the rest of the year until next time. It might be your dog is doing something like that too.

Stormy
I used them mainly because if I used the reusable one I was having to rinse and dry it every two, if not one, pass. I had something by Scotch that was a compartment with two rollers on the bottom. When rolled back and forth over the upholstery it collected the pet hair in the compartment. It was not supposed to be reusable but after I cut open the top of the compartment and emptied it out it was :p I don't know if they discontinued it or not but I cannot find one for sale anywhere around here, and I can't remember the name of it.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I rarely rinse my brush, most of the time I just pull the hair off the grain of the fabric by rubbing my fingers with the grain.

Sometimes, to clean it a little deeper I will wash it, and some stubborn lint/hair can also come off by just wetting your hand and rubbing the brush with the grain of the fabric.

The kind that rotate. I had one like that once, and it was nice because by pushing the button then I could use the thumb of my left hand to go with the grain of the brush to collect hair and lint off of it, then another push of the button swiveled the brush around so the right hand could brush comfortable against the grain to pick up more lint. No having to switch hands or turn the brush and hold it different to get to the lint easily.

My sister uses those lint roller sheets by the mile, and she pays about a dollar a roll. I've had the same lint brush for like 12 years and buy maybe 2 of those lint rollers a year to swipe across rougher fabrics like knits that the rough texture of the lint brush doesn't seem to work on as easily...snags a little making it hard to pull the brush across the yarns. But on most everything else, I like the brush a lot better.

Stormy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Make sure you groom your dog regularly, it sounds like your dog has short hair but im not sure without a picture. A good brush makes a huge difference. Commit to getting the loose hairs out and you will notice a big difference in the amount of fur on your bed. Still, it wont get rid of it 100 percent so if I suggest you get a darker throw OR you can always not allow the dog on the bed. ;)

Zoom grooms are good generally for all coats, but generally in order for it to be effective you have to do vigorous circular motions-- it's soft though so it wont hurt your dog, but if she is weird about contact she might not tolerate it.

Slickers are great for long or thick coats, my dog loves his. It doesn't pull his fur.

Furminators are AWESOME but hella expensive, can be a good investment though. They strip the dead hair out like a boss.

Shedding blades kinda scared me at first but they're ok, they dont hold the hair though. The fur just kinda flies everywhere.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Realisticaly if you let her sleep on your bed, theres going to be some amount of hair on it no matter what. I agree with what others have said, daily/frequent brushings. It might even help getting a simple brush and giving her a quick brush down before bed so she's not taking so much with her onto the bed.
I would also suggest making sure you put a dryer sheet in with your bed sheets to limit some of the static so they wont cling on to hair as much.
After some general reading/ quick scanning, some people say using a squeegee helps. Not sure how it would work on bedding vrs. a couch but it might be worth a try.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My comforter is a darker color so you can't see it on that as much but on my lighter blue pillow cases and sheet It gets covered.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
can i ask what you feed her? sometimes besides blowing puppy coat food can be the culprit

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
She eats 4 health puppy forumla
On here that considered a good brand, maybe she is just blowing her puppy coat and scuse my ignorance what season is it where you are now?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'm not saying that the following is why she is shedding a lot, but I know that stress can cause excess hair loss. When I first met my partner he had a dog and he still lived with his parents. His dog was used to having someone home most of the time and my partner was concerned about leaving him home alone (well, with the other dogs I had) when he moved in. So in the beginning, I would drop his dog off at his parents on my way to work and pick him up on my way home. He started to loose a lot of hair in huge tufts. Much more than when blowing coat. I talked with my partner and told him that I think he would be ok left at home with the other dogs while we were gone and to try it and see if it was the culprit. We tired different foods, special shampoo, etc to no avail. He eventually and reluctantly gave in and we started leaving him home with the others. Shortly after, his fur stopped falling out and went back to normal. Just a thought as Bella has been described to be more of an anxious type of dog.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think regular brushing would help a lot.

I wear lots of black and I have a cream colored dog. She's a poodle, so I could have her on my lap and even roll around with her and maybe get one hair on me if that. ....however, she does require more grooming than 95% of dogs...being a large sized poodle. So either you vacuum it up, or you clip it off every 6-8 weeks.

For me, since I'm anal about hair everywhere...I wouldn't have my dog in the bed if you don't like dog hairs in the bed. Some times we have to make little adjustments to make it easier on us and our dogs

Maybe you could keep your dog in a short cut and learn how to do some grooming yourself? I started with 0 knowledge of grooming and I can maintain my dog between clips now. When it costs over 100 dollars to get a GOOD groom (not petsmart) ...you tend to learn quickly haha

·
Registered
90 Posts
Oh my, I just got the Kong Zoom Groom for my dog that I didn't think shed a lot. Let me say, I'm OBSESSED. It's soo much fun to brush my dog and watch all the fur float out. We now do this daily and she loves the feel of (she also gets treats for it)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts