Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad brought in the heater, She barked and growled for 45 minutes straight wouldn't take toys or treats. the only thing that got her to stop is putting it in the laundry room. What can I do to keep her from barking and growling at it because we will have to bring it to the kitchen in the morning I don't want bella to bark ALL DAY

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
One thing I do when Chisum goes crazy about something is I turn it into a game.

Usually that starts with me saying "oh, you're such a silly boy, let's just go check this out". For one thing, it seems to calm him down when he sees that *I* am not bothered; for another, it primes him for the game - and he loves this!

**note: sometimes I, myself, will have to go fool around with the "big scary thing" in Chisum's view, both to increase his interest and demonstrate this thing isn't so scary.

Next, counter condition. Get some really awesome treats and reward her for just looking at the thing. You'll probably have to start really far away, especially if this thing is really scary for her and/or she's not familiar with the game. She looks, she gets the treat. Rinse and repeat.

Once she's got the idea, inch forward and keep playing. If at any point she seems agitated, go back a few inches and stay there for awhile before trying again.

Being that this is a heater, I'd just keep doing this until she can sit relatively close and not lose her cool. Then, leash her and go in and out of the room, again treating when she looks at the big scary thing (major jackpot if she does so quietly, or sniffs near it, or whatever else).

Usually when it's something like a box with Chisum, I'll have him interact with it after awhile and start rewarding for sniffing or putting a paw on it. He loves that game too :) I probably wouldn't do that with a heater though; in fact, I'd probably put it behind an ex-pen or something so she can't chew it or accidently burn herself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts