Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Bella is getting spayed on October 21, 2015 She will be about 5 1/2 months old then. I do have a few questions.

She is very fearful and growls and barks. I'm a little worried that when they try to get her out of the kennel to spay her she will snap or bite them she hasn't bit anyone out of fear before but I know there is always a possibility anything special I should to to prevent this

She has sepearation anxiety and hates being away from me would this be a problem leaving her at the vet she will be picked up the same day and will not have to stay overnight.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What kind of dog is bella?

Also with the growling and snapping with the kennel, have them give her space and to have treats leading out.

And get her out and about more. Her being a puppy it should be easy for her to make new friends whether its humans or other dogs. Even just bringing her in a pet store or in the woods for a walk would help her a lot. He growling is a sign she isn't sure of something and wants it to back of. Its also a sign of a lack of confidence. So the more you get her out and about the more confident she will get and it will help her in the future.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Also with the growling and snapping with the kennel, have them give her space and to have treats leading out.

When going in for Desexing they are not to have any food the morning of the operation, so giving treats on the way out to theatre will not be advisable as when a pet has food in his/her stomach when going under anaesthetics , it becomes more of a risk.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Mrs. Cunningham is right. Specifically what happens if you feed a dog (OR PERSON) before surgery, they can and probably will throw up their food, inhale it and ... get very hurt or die. You can't fix burned lungs.

It's a bit OT but important for anyone with a pet or person going under to keep in mind. It doesn't matter how hungry they are, hungry is better than dead.

Otherwise, good luck with Bella's spay! The vet's probably used to dealing with fearful or even outright aggressive and dangerous dogs, they should be able to handle her alright too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
When going in for Desexing they are not to have any food the morning of the operation, so giving treats on the way out to theatre will not be advisable as when a pet has food in his/her stomach when going under anaesthetics , it becomes more of a risk.
You are right. No food. But in general giver her some space when coming out of her kennel. You can also throw treats in her kennel to help her go in and just make it a game. The more fun it is, the more the dog will like it :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts