Dog Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bella is about 11 weeks old she had a dose of flea medicine 3 weeks ago and her next visit isn't until August the 15th for her next dose and next shots she is biting fleas really bad. What can I do to ease the itching until her next vet visit also when I got her she was infested with fleas and had a scab on her back well that was about 3 weeks ago and the hair isn't growing back there at all it hasn't even started growing back is there anything I can do to help it grow back

·
Premium Member
11,875 Posts
Sounds like she needs to be treated again....
May also need to treat her bedding, your home, and yard as well. Aug 15 is a long time to wait...

once the fleas are gone she should start to feel better and fur should grow back.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
August 15 is when they said treat her again she's not due for another dose yet. Her fleas just started bothering her again a couple days ago they were gone for a while

·
Premium Member
11,875 Posts
the fleas returning tells me you likely have fleas in your environment which is why youll likely need to treat your home and yard. If you dont kill the fleas in the environmemt Bella will just keep getting them.

and personally if it was my puppy I would call the vet and figure out how to treat her now be it capstar, frontline, a flea bath, etc. the 15th is 3 weeks away. Too long imo to let this go on.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
455 Posts
Use the spray on stuff for both dogs and furnishings liberally (just don't mix them up). Wash everything w wash through treatment. Use a different treatment next month, you may have to try a few. Nexgard is the only thing that worked on our fleas. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ima give her a bath today with a flea and tick shampoo our other dog is treated with comfortis I don't see any fleas on Bella when I checked but she's biting bad i have a coupon for a free dose of frontline up to a 15$ value that came with her puppy kit Ima get at her next appointment she just had flea medicine on July 9th so she can't have anymore until at least August 9th according to the vet

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
The Sprays... Be VERY careful with flea sprays/poisons.

Some sprays contain phosphate type poisons, and these can be utterly deadly to a dog. The poison cannot be washed off as it soaks into the skin.

I had a dog get phosphate poison from a dog flea collar of all things, and it was a pure horror show at the vet's office as I watched the poor dog, Shilo, go into muscle spasms that had her back bent so bad that I don't know how she didn't rip a stomach muscle, or break a vertebrae - the whole time she was screeching in pain.

Her heart stopped at one point, and the vet told me she could get the heart going again, but if the kidneys shut down then there was no hope. She ran bags of fluid through my dog, who the vet finally was able to sedate...and then the vet just tilted the exam table and let Shilo just leak it out into a bucket hanging off the exam table...and that was where my dog spent the rest of the night...as the vet tried to keep her kidneys flushed.

I didn't know about phosphate poisons back then (late 1980's) and when I saw my dog, licking her lips and stagger a little, I knew it had to be the dog flea collar I had put on her earlier that day. It was the first time I ever put one on any of my dogs. I tried to give her a bath and wasted precious time in doing so. As it was, the vet said if I had got her in there just even 15 minutes later than I did, she would not have been able to save Shilo.

A 'safer' poison...if there is such a thing... are the sprays made with pyrethrin which come from the Chrysanthemum plant. One still needs to use caution and know what symptoms to look for if a dog reacts to any treatment used to poison fleas and ticks.

Shilo, btw had almost no body fat, and that was why the flea collar poison absorbed through her skin and into her tissues and blood stream. The fat acts as a kind of buffer. But I've read that some dogs after years of wearing flea collars have died due to kidney failure and there seems to be a growing concern that it is the collars doing it...although from what I last read, the companies that make them say they are perfectly safe.

I don't know if they have been proved otherwise, but as for Hartz and their 2 and 1 collars they use to make (?still make)... they can shove those where the sun don't shine.

I threatened them with a lawsuit and they ended up paying my vet bill. What made me the most angry was that there was Nothing on the box that warned a pet owner to look for certain signs of poisoning and what to do it they saw signs. (like not waste time bathing the dog as that stuff doesn't wash off).

Anyway... I hope you can get rid of the fleas. You might try a non poisonous dust around the bedding called diatomaceous earth - get it in 'food grade' only. It's fine like flour, and when insects get coated with the dust it plugs their pores which is how they breath and it dries them out by soaking up any moisture. Licking at food grade diatomaceous earth won't hurt your dog. In fact, some people add tiny amounts to their animals food as it's suppose to help with internal parasites.

Stormy

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Do you or your family have flea bites? How about your other dog?

If she has fleas that bad, your environment is probably infested and will need to be treated as well as her, as others have said. But if the itching is that bad and no one else has flea bites (and you don't see fleas on her) you may have another problem going on. Did your vet confirm fleas?

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She didn't have fleas when we took her because I had already treated her she stopped itching for about 2 weeks and started back. Our other dog had fleas until we treated her. My mom plans on treating the house once we get the money it's about 50$ for the house alone. But the yard will be hard cz all the dogs and cats around we have 6 pit bulls 2 chihuahuas a pug a ****zu mix a border collie and a mastiff mix there's also about 30 cats around the neighborhood 5 pit bulls and 20 cats live at one house and they never treat for fleas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts