Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She has chewed up a DS charger, A phone charger, Pillows, 5 harnesses, 1 leash, Table legs, Chair Legs, Tons of child toys, She is constantly grabbing one of my cousins toys off the floor when he is here and we have to take one away from her every 5 seconds, She gets paper out of the trash can and rips it up all over the floor, She has destroyed a whole roll of toilet paper, She has chewed up part of my bedroom door. She has somehow managed to pull a pair of pants thru a tiny hole in her plastic crate and destroy those, She chews on blankets, and most recently she had chewed the corner of our couch so badly that we can no longer rearrange the room without showing the bad piece. It doesn't matter how many toys she has she still chews on everything, We normally watch her at all times, but sometimes the door gets left open to the laundry room where the trash can is and she gets in that or my mom falls asleep in the living room while watching her. How can I get this behavior to stop she is almost 8 months old and it is getting expensive. She still hates it outside so I haven't been able to walk her any, Just been working on getting her to like being outside but no progress.

She is a good dog except for her chewing, growling at strangers(until she gets used to them) and hating to be outside, She is also very rough when playing with my 2 year old cousin and makes him scream when she plays with him because she accidentally scratches him. Still working on house training we still have an accident every once in a while but for the most part she is better with the house training. The biggest issue is the chewing she destroys so many things, We try to hide all the paper, and she gets it no matter where we put it half the time we don't even know where she is getting it we constantly have to take something out of her mouth like every 5 minutes,

·
Registered
286 Posts
how old is she? our pup ben is 15 month now, and he especially likes tissues and kitchenroll, and toiletpaper etc, its what puppys do, you just got to try and prevent her from getting to it, put things up out the way. i totally realise it is differcult with kids about. make sure she has plenty of toys, and chews. theach her what is and isnt hers. ben has his own toybox, with all his belongings in. :)

·
Banned
295 Posts
I have a 17 month old, and he's destructive as well. He's fine when I'm home with him, but he's not allowed to be in the house unsupervised while I'm away. He stays in a room in my horse barn where it's less of a problem if he destroys something. Interestingly, there is plenty in there for him to destroy that he never messes with. The only thing he's destroyed in there are the old sofa-bed mattress put in there for him and my other dog to use as a bed, and one of the old couch cushions put in there for his entertainment. He *seems* to be growing out of the destructive phase, but I still don't trust him enough in the house. He's torn up the wall and trim around the front door and one of the front windows, the trim around my bedroom door, the corner of my mattress, and one of the couch cushions. I'm hopeful that he'll be okay some day once he's grown up a bit, but purchased a crate for him a couple of weeks ago just in case he never gets over the chewing/destructive stuff. He's still learning about the crate and I haven't left him in it for more than a few minutes, supervised, with a stuffed Kong or other goody to occupy him. I'm going to start working with him more over Christmas break when I'm home for two weeks.

Does Bella have a crate you can put her in?
ETA: Duh...you mentioned the crate.
I guess my advice is to keep working on getting her outside and getting that energy out. The chewing is probably as much her overabundance of pent up energy as anything else. An 18 month old dog needs a LOT of exercise. Mine has free run of 7.5 acres and two other dogs for playmates, and he still has more energy than I know what to do with sometimes.
Could you build her an outdoor pen? They have those portable ones with tops so she cannot climb or jump out. That might help her get used to being outside AND keep her away from things she can destroy/give her some exercise.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I guess my advice is to keep working on getting her outside and getting that energy out. The chewing is probably as much her overabundance of pent up energy as anything else. An 18 month old dog needs a LOT of exercise. Mine has free run of 7.5 acres and two other dogs for playmates, and he still has more energy than I know what to do with sometimes.
Could you build her an outdoor pen? They have those portable ones with tops so she cannot climb or jump out. That might help her get used to being outside AND keep her away from things she can destroy/give her some exercise.

@Gretchenpc, you might want to read other threads posted by the OP, her dog Bella has several fear/anxiety issues one of them being the dog won't dog outside except to pee.
@Bryansgirl, if Bella cannot be trusted not to chew household objects, then she needs to be leashed to you when you are home or confined in the crate (and don't have clothes on the floor that she can reach through the crate and chew on), or put an x-pen when you are not. Do not have your cousin's toys on the floor or anything else on the floor she isn't allowed to chew, pick them up and put them away. Bella-proof your house, so she isn't being set-up to fail.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Have you tried lupine leashes and harnesses ? At least if she chews one you can send it back and get a new one.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I have not tried them yet I don't have the money to buy them as of now. it would be 40$ to get everything and I have a-lot of school expenses coming up

·
Registered
316 Posts
Why can't she play with paper? My dog also has a tremendous urge to rip, tear and shred...natural behaviors for most dogs, when you think about it. I take old boxes, like empty cereal boxes, shipping boxes, or paper bags, stuff them full of wadded up old newspapers or paper out of the recycling, and let her go to town. Same with paper tubes, like empty paper towel rolls, which can be stuffed full of paper and then she gets the fun of unstuffing them (I'll sometimes stick a few treats in, if I feel like it). It's like free dog toys! Then I clean up the mess.

Normal dog stuff, especially given your dog's age and general anxiety. Tearing things up can be soothing as well as recreational, and a good outlet for a dog who might need more enrichment in her life generally.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I agree that your only option is to manage the situation. Is she crate trained? A crate is an invaluable tool for dogs that chew. You can also use an x-pen or baby gates. You have to keep stuff picked up and be persistent in encouraging her to chew on appropriate items. There is no magical cure for this.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Man I kept going through this waiting for it to be worse than my pup. But nope. Mine's destroyed more.

But we reached a solution. I don't have to worry about Dorje destroying any of my nice things anymore because he's already destroyed all my nice things. There's nothing left.

So just wait it out :)

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Your best bet really is management. Drop it and leave it will both be useful but only if you see her with the thing, if she grabs it when you aren't looking then all bets are off. The only other thing you may be able to do is teach her to bring you whatever she finds for a really yummy treat and a play session.

Thanks for bringing back a memory of when Shadow was a puppy. He never really destroyed much but he had a dirty underwear fetish when he was a puppy and he managed to steal just about every pair of underwear both I and my roommate owned, once he got them he'd chew the liner out leaving just the crotches shell. Neither of us had laundry baskets with lids and no matter how far down we buried the underwear in the clothes basket the brat would find them and chew the crotch out. It's a precious memory now but oh it was so frustrating back then!

·
Banned
295 Posts
@Gretchenpc, you might want to read other threads posted by the OP, her dog Bella has several fear/anxiety issues one of them being the dog won't dog outside except to pee.
Ah! I have seen those threads and didn't realize this was the same poster/dog.
That does make things more difficult.

OP...as others have said, managing Bella and her environment are really your only choices if you value your house and belongings. True story: when Winston was younger and was being left in the house, every day before I left for work I took the cushions and pillows off the couch and put them in another room with the door shut, took my bedding off my bed and put it in the closet with the door shut, wrapped/tucked the curtains up on their rods so he couldn't reach them, unplugged any and all electrical things and wrapped the cords up so they were out of his reach, picked up any other decorative items and put them out of his reach, cleared the coffee table of magazines, books, and picture albums, and even put the case of bottled water up on the table instead of its usual place at the bottom of my baker's rack because he likes chewing on plastic bottles. Then I also put up baby gates/closed doors to areas where I didn't want him to go at all to avoid potty messes in those (carpeted) areas.

Basically, look around the house, pretend you are Bella, and pick up anything you see that might be tempting to play with/chew on.

When all that was left were the walls, Winston began chewing the wall and frame around the front door. I arranged the kitchen bar stools so he couldn't reach that area and he moved to the front kitchen window and tore up part of the wall there. That was when he finally got booted out to the horse barn. It became obvious that no matter where I left him inside, he was going to chew out of frustration/anxiety/whatever. He's destroyed an entire sleeper sofa mattress out in the barn.

Your absolute best bet is to conquer this fear of being outside somehow. Bella has way, way, way too much pent up energy as a young dog who never goes outside to run and play. I know from experience that a tired puppy is a well-behaved puppy. :)

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have been working on conquering her fear of the outside for about 6 months now. No progress has been made, I have tried everything recommended her and by her vet, Nothing is working

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm starting to wonder if it's actually fear or she just does not like it outside. When she has to potty she will run outside on her own without any issues but she always comes back in the moment she potty's. If she was scared of being outside I don't think she will run out on her own. I know if she hears certain sounds she gets scared but the majority of the time it is perfectly quiet as we live far our in the country and theirs not much noise around here

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes she is crate trained but if we are home she still cries as loud as possible, But my cousin is here for about 4 hours a day every day of the week sometimes even 6-7 hours except Thursday and weekends, We can't keep her crated that long. I literally am stuck in the room the entire time he is here, I don't want to have to be stuck in one room I want to train her not to touch the stuff to begin with so I don't have to keep her locked away the entire day.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My mom gets so frustrated at taking stuff away from her all the time (she runs behind her chair and only my mom can get to her that she just lets her rip it up and eat what ever she has. She has begun refusing to take stuff away from her. I have walked this entire house, I cannot find where she gets half the things she gets. We have baby gates but they don't fit tight enough in the door and when she hits it, it gets knocked down. and with my mom being disabled she is not able to move the gate/step over it to go to other rooms she has a weak bladder and we can't block off any parts of the house because if she has to go to the bathroom she has to go THEN and cannot move the gate in time. The only thing I have been doing is locking her in the room with me all day but I'm tired of having to be separated from everyone else the ENTIRE day.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
You could teach her a "leave it" cue. There are several YouTube videos on the subject (I know Kikopup has a few).

As for outside, if she's not afraid, have you tried making outside more fun for her? Maybe go out to the yard and scatter some really, really, really high value treats for her -- like chicken or hot dogs. Take her there, let her sniff them out and eat them, and then go back inside. If she's not good at seeking stuff out, start in a place where the treats are easier to see, like a driveway, sidewalk, dirt patch, etc. Then, as she gets better at finding the treats (and starts expecting them!) you can put them in harder to find places, like grass, bushes, etc. and work on staying outside longer.

Chisum has never really been afraid of being outside, but the area near our cattle was always kind of a high trigger area for him because he was afraid of the cattle. We did a lot of LAT with the cows as well as just some basic training there when the cattle weren't present -- not only is he not afraid of the cattle anymore, he gets super excited when we go out there because he knows that's where he gets the treats!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts