Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to this group! We have a 4 year old Belgian Mal. We've had her since she was a puppy. She behaves very well and is a very well trained dog. She loves to "suck" on pillows and blankets. I've attached a picture. While she's doing it she makes sucking noises and breathes loudly. She can stay like this for a very long time! Is she just bored? I know they need alot of exercise! She gets about an hour a day. Some days even more, especially from running around with our 3 boys. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Maybe she's bored, though it sounds more like a comfort behavior.

You can try replacing it with an appropriate chew, though I doubt that will work. Most dogs benefit from more mental stimulation. Adding new nose work games like an Easter egg hunt could be fun all around.

·
Super Moderator
7,685 Posts
Whatever the reason, I'd also suggest getting her into some sort of activities - scentwork, obedience, agility or whatever you and she would enjoy. She is a working breed and a working dog without work might one day start creating a job for herself. Probably not one you approve of!

·
Registered
811 Posts
My border collie is a blanket sucker, though he doesn't do it as much now as when he was younger. For him it is a self soothing/calming behavior. When he was younger he would do it when he was tired, just before going to sleep, (like a child snuggling up with their favorite blanket). Now - he is just over 4 yrs. old, he occasionally does it when he is feeling anxious/stressed/has had a hard day, (often due to unsettled weather) it helps him 'unwind' and relax.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts