Dog Forum banner

Being poor and owning a dog. :P

824 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Buzzu2 
#1 ·
I am poor...but I've also been frugal all my life. Before I became disabled I had a decent job and if I needed...or wanted to spend $60 to $100 dollars on something every month, it wasn't a budget breaker.

But after I injured my back, spent 4 months in a wheelchair, and over a year waiting for disability to be approved...all but about $800 of my savings was gone...I had no income and had to use my savings for everything...to pay my mortgage, food, house supplies, and on my pets.

Anyway...I had a small, but important thing I needed to get...and that was a thick/supportive, comfy dog bed for my very old 70 pound dog, Jaya - her hips are hurting her at times. She is on anti-inflammatory meds, as well as the occasional mild pain killer, when needed .

Dog beds, high quality, big enough for a large dog to sprawl out on, and that would not get hammered down flat after a few months....they are expensive... $50 on up into the $300 dollar price range.

So...I've just been trying to make do with some thick blankets on the floor...but they get messed up and sometimes don't offer up the cushioning she needs.

Today I went to our local thrift store...and saw larger looking crib mattress :D It had $10.00 listed as a price, was in a pure white material that one could wipe down with a cleaning rag if need be...but it looked brand new.

It's now on the floor of my computer room, with a blanket on it. AU is curled up on one end and Jays is laying on her side taking up the rest of it. There's even room for Thump, (my 3 legged cat) to lay near AU...which she loves to do. Song, my older cat, has her bed near the mattress, so she's happy.
Thump didn't get a bed in the computer room because she and Song don't really care for each other, and when Thump does come in here, she likes laying next to AU anyway. So, Thump's bed is in the living room.

Anyway... I'm pretty happy with my $10 fix for Jaya's comfort needs. Jaya, btw, has her own room, with a love seat she sleeps on. But, even though she's still rather feral, she does like to hang out near me at times, and too, with AU....and AU is almost always in whatever room I'm in.

So that's my mini brag for now... lol

Stormy

See less See more
#2 ·
I am poor...but I've also been frugal all my life. Before I became disabled I had a decent job and if I needed...or wanted to spend $60 to $100 dollars on something every month, it wasn't a budget breaker.

But after I injured my back, spent 4 months in a wheelchair, and over a year waiting for disability to be approved...all but about $800 of my savings was gone...I had no income and had to use my savings for everything...to pay my mortgage, food, house supplies, and on my pets.

Anyway...I had a small, but important thing I needed to get...and that was a thick/supportive, comfy dog bed for my very old 70 pound dog, Jaya - her hips are hurting her at times. She is on anti-inflammatory meds, as well as the occasional mild pain killer, when needed .

Dog beds, high quality, big enough for a large dog to sprawl out on, and that would not get hammered down flat after a few months....they are expensive... $50 on up into the $300 dollar price range.

So...I've just been trying to make do with some thick blankets on the floor...but they get messed up and sometimes don't offer up the cushioning she needs.

Today I went to our local thrift store...and saw larger looking crib mattress :D It had $10.00 listed as a price, was in a pure white material that one could wipe down with a cleaning rag if need be...but it looked brand new.

It's now on the floor of my computer room, with a blanket on it. AU is curled up on one end and Jays is laying on her side taking up the rest of it. There's even room for Thump, (my 3 legged cat) to lay near AU...which she loves to do. Song, my older cat, has her bed near the mattress, so she's happy.
Thump didn't get a bed in the computer room because she and Song don't really care for each other, and when Thump does come in here, she likes laying next to AU anyway. So, Thump's bed is in the living room.

Anyway... I'm pretty happy with my $10 fix for Jaya's comfort needs. Jaya, btw, has her own room, with a love seat she sleeps on. But, even though she's still rather feral, she does like to hang out near me at times, and too, with AU....and AU is almost always in whatever room I'm in.

So that's my mini brag for now... lol

Stormy
Well done Stormy!
Your post has reminded me that I will soon need some doggie stairs for my soon to be 9 yr old Mini Aussie. He still wants to get on my bed at night, but of late has been camping out beside it, and I imagine that he is not as agile while trying to keep up with the other younger pups. They will also come in handy to get them into the SUV when needed.
Craigslist has not had anything decent, so my next stop is Chewy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.