Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Chiweenie that is almost two years old. I know these dogs are energetic and bark a lot, I was expecting that. But lately he will be outside and bark the entire night. From the minute I get back from work (5) until we put him inside to bed (10). We have a picnic table in the backyard and he just stands on it and barks and never quits. I thought his voice would eventually get tired, but obviously that is not the case. I go out there and throw the ball with him for a while every day, but that doesn't seem to satisfy him. I can take the barking, but it's the neighbors I'm concerned about. Any suggestions on what to do to calm him down?

Thanks

-Chason

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
bring him inside...with you. It's cold and he's probably lonely. A chihuahua doesn't have a lot of insulation to work with.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
The dog doesn't want to be outside. I don't think either of those breeds are really built to be outside all the time either, even mixed together. Playing with him in the yard probably doesn't satisfy him either. Even small dogs need a good amount of exercise and throwing the ball a couple of times won't do much for him. Is there a reason as to why you are keeping him outside even while you're home? Try bringing him inside, bringing him for walks or to the park to run a bit more freely.

Reactions: subado

·
Banned
711 Posts
Why on earth is the dog secluded outside all evening?

Go sit out on your picnic table all by yourself for five hours and see how long it takes for you to get bored and start talking to yourself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He sleeps inside. But whenever we bring him inside to be with us he's ok for a little while, then he goes and sits by the door to be let out. And it's not just to use to restroom. Should we not let him out when he sits and waits by the door?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I would concentrate first on making inside more fun for him. Why not throw a tennis ball or plushie around the den instead of the yard? My dog and I play an indoor game wherein I run around the couch dragging a kneesock holding a tennis ball, and she tries to grab it and then run away (sort of like an indoor-safe version of a flirt pole).

As for barking outside, he probably doesn't know he is supposed to be quiet. (Chihuahuas, at least, being barkers and all that jazz). Do you use clicker training at all? That can be a good way to "mark" the moments when he is *not* barking (especially in response to a loud noise or other dog that would usually set him off), and then of course you follow the click with a treat. :) This involves spending lots and lots of time out there with him, of course. I'd still think the better idea would be to make being inside rock his world.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
It doesn't matter how big the yard it, he still needs to be exercised, and that means that you need to play with him and walk him.

By anyone's standards my yard is very large. Yet when I still had both my dogs and they were younger all they'd do 90% of the time is lay around. Both were very energetic dogs, both loved to walk, run, and play, but the yard was boring. They knew the yard, they knew what was in it, they knew what smells were in it, so they'd lay around sleep most of the time, and wait for me to play with them, or take them for a walk. Your dog is doing the same thing. The house is more boring then the yard, so he wants to go out, once out he's releasing pent up energy and boredom by barking.

When you get home, take him for a nice long walk, at least 30 minutes, then when you get him back home play with him some more, then give him a 10 or 15 minute training session, and see if he still wants to go out in the backyard and bark his head off.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Ditto everything posted above. It's not wise to leave a dog, especially one that small, outside so much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thanks. I'll try to get him used to being inside more. Our den isn't very large, but I'll try and think of some game to play. Is it true that Chiweenies like close, tight spaces when they sleep?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd love to leave him inside while we're at work, but he destroys everything if we leave him unsupervised in the house.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Reactions: Megs87 and subado

·
Banned
711 Posts
A "Chiweenie" isn't a real breed so no one can tell you what they're supposed to like or not like.

More importantly, he sits by the door because he wants to go outside. He cries outside because he wants you to go outside. He's bored.

·
Registered
824 Posts
What in the heck is a ChiWeenie? I'm going to assume a Chihuahua and a Dachshund? (I shouldn't assume I'm sure.)

But still!? If that is right, or even if it is wrong, the dog is likely a pretty smart little mix and assuming, yet again, (I probably shouldn't do that!) that the dog is bored out of its little doggy head!? Bored dogs bark. :)

You gotta step up the game here, OP. :) Dogs aren't fishies, you know. They need interaction.!

Reactions: Megs87

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Chi x Dachshund. :( They're the most popular designer dog where I live. A chi's nervousness, bark and big dog mentality combined with a Dachshund's standoffishness, smarts and bark. And untrained. :(

Reactions: Megs87

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What do you mean by crate train him? We actually kept him in all night last time after work and brought some of his toys inside, so were going to try and start doing that. We put him outside for only a few minutes while we got ready for bed and he went straight to barking non stop.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Get a crate and train him to like it. Look at the link I posted to. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
55 Posts
My mother has a chi x doxie, and hers sleeps in a covered cat bed/house thing, with about 5 favorite toys.
So it's possible they like small spaces, but each to their own.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts