Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! This is my first thread ever. Looking forward to a great experience here.

About my question: We have a chicken farm and I was wondering about the behavior of e.g. a German Shepherd around them. In other words, what will the dog do when he sees the chickens (when visiting farm only)?
Is it possible to raise the dog (on the farm) in a way to behave around chickens as he would with for e.g. sheep?

Thank you.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Hello! This is my first thread ever. Looking forward to a great experience here.

About my question: We have a chicken farm and I was wondering about the behavior of e.g. a German Shepherd around them. In other words, what will the dog do when he sees the chickens (when visiting farm only)?
Is it possible to raise the dog (on the farm) in a way to behave around chickens as he would with for e.g. sheep?

Thank you.
I think it is definitely possible. Are you looking to get a pup or adopt an older dog?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Planning on getting a pup and I haven't exactly decided on a breed.

This question came to me while reading Bruce Fogle DOGalog. I noticed it only said mammals and nothing about birds like chicken and turkey and such.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I have pet chickens who free range and five dogs and have no issues. I had to train one of the dogs and the others just never cared... :) Its certainly possible for them to get along...I don't know about the dog guarding the flock like they would sheep tho...

welcome to the forum btw. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts