Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear people's opinions suggestions experiences about having an overly aggressive dog. I just received a beautiful purebred boxer from a friend. They had her for one year and she just could not get along with the two other dogs and it escalated to a point where they had to get rid of her. She's around 18 months old and super intelligent super loving and friendly but gets overly aggressive when the presence of another dog is close. She has an uncontrollable desire to display her dominance or territorial attitude to other dogs. When there's no other dogs around she's sweet as can be. Never ever or will she ever bite humans. she loves people she just has a problem with other dogs

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sorry, more questions than answers initially.

Did she have problems with both or all of the other dogs, or was there 1 in particular? Have you actually seen the behavior, or are you going on what you were told about her? What gender was the dog(s) she had a problem with? Did the previous owner work with a trainer at all on this? Do you have any large-breed dog experience?

Has her aggression been evaluated by a professional? Why do you believe its dominance or territorial (2 very different thing BTW)?

I could give you the pat answer of "use distance and give treats and slowly create a Conditioned Emotional Response", but if you could answer my questions it would be easier to customize some kind of advice that might work for you.

·
Super Moderator
7,954 Posts
And, were any or all neutered, was she aggressive with all other dogs or just the ones in the home and were there flashpoints (food, toys for example)?

Meantime, yes it may be a 'pat' answer but keeping her at a far enough distance from other dogs that she is aware, but not reacting; and rewarding her calm behaviour, is a good strategy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts