Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I have just moved to a new city last weekend with my one year old dog. He's regressed in some areas since. He is crate trained, but since moving I haven't been able to get him to stay in his crate without barking. Which is the second issue... he used to never be a big barker. He barked before being crate trained but he got to where he was comfortable in the crate so it wasn't a problem anymore. Now he barks anytime a person walks past the house. Sometimes he growls at the door, but never at a person. He's still incredibly friendly. The barking is really loud and not something that I want to encourage. This morning, I took him for a walk and the only way to get to grass was to go straight through the workers who are laying pipe and repaving the drive. On the way back inside, he got so scared by the noise tha& he was pulling so hard on his leash that he sounded like he was choking. When we got inside I poured his food and water and he wouldn't come out, he just hid under my desk. When I went to take a shower, he hid under the bed. He has never been skittish like this before. I know it's got to be overwhelming for him. How can I best acclimate him to the new environment and correct these problems he's been having?

Some relevant info:
-He was picked up at 4 months old by animal control (he was a stray)
-I think he is some sort of hound/corgi mix... he exhibits a lot of hound behaviors
-He is VERY attached to me. He had some mild separation anxiety when I got him but it was mostly remedied by the crate training.
-I lived alone before and the new residence is my boyfriend and me
-He's very motivated by food

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Just be patient, establish a routine and use lots of great treats. It's totally normal for dogs to be upset after a move, and it can last to some degree for months, depending on the dog. I wouldn't expect him to be this bad for more than a week or two.

If he continues to be this bad, I would take him to the vet just to be sure he's okay.

Reactions: Dia

·
Registered
722 Posts
Sounds like he's just a bit overwhelmed byball the changes suddenly in his life... New city, new house, boyfriend also moving in. Construction nearby. Take a step back, he was crate trained, you did it once, you can do it again. Keep things positive at all times.

·
Registered
140 Posts
These are massive changes in a short time for a dog and its a lot for him to cope with.AS you said , he must be feeling totally overwhelmed . Also, he is still growing and maturing so that will affect his behaviour and emotions.

Does he have to go in a crate? It would be one less thing to stress about if he could be trusted uncrated.
Does you house have a yard where he can toilet ? perhaps you could avoid walks for a few days until he is more settled. If not, try to avoid the work men. Can you drive him to another grass area .
If he will accept treats , you can use them to make outside walks more rewarding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for responding! It's been a couple of months now and thankfully he's doing much better! We don't have to crate him during the day, but when we do, he's comfortable and secure inside the crate. He's still barking a little bit, but nothing major. Today actually marks one year since I adopted him, we had a checkup today and he's happy and healthy!

That's my Buster on the left. He's a good pup!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts