Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cricket and Hopper are the two hound/lab puppies that I got when they were only five weeks old. There mom was hit by a car when they were almost four weeks old, and they were pretty sick when I brought them home. They are growing and healthy now though! We've decided (about 80% sure) to adopt Cricket (the one with very dark brown points) and foster Hopper (the one with tan points and white paws).

Hopper problem:
When it's time for bed, the puppies have been fairly good about going to bed. Cricket will lay down when I tell her "it's time for bed" and set her in her bin for the night. Hopper, on the other hand, will whine and whine. Nobody can sleep! The other night I put her in the bed with me and she went right to sleep. After she went to sleep I set her in her bin because I don't think she is big enough to safely be in bed with us. Is Hopper emotional needy? Is this separation anxiety and did I encourage her by putting her in the bed?

Cricket problem:
For the most part the sisters get along, but there is a problem developing. When I give Hopper attention her sister growls and pounces on her with teeth showing and everything. Hopper yelps and backs up submissively. Is Cricket displaying possessiveness? Should I be concerned that she might show aggression to one of the human family members when she gets older? What can I do to prevent her from being so attached with me that she hurts one of the kids?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Annageckos!!!! That makes sense. I'll make changes with Hopper right away.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I meant to respond to the cricket problem too and completely forgot..smh

When she pounces on her sister and she yelps, does cricket stop and kinda just sit there for a second with her attention elsewhere?
Sorry it took so long to answer!
I separated the two for a couple days, and the situation sort of resolved itself. I've taught them to sit when they want my attention and they've realized that bickering won't get them what they want. I think also that it might have been a phase??

Thank you for your suggestion about music!! After just two nights Hopper was able to relax for bed and (believe it or not) they slept without music for a full seven hours last night!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, that is exactly what's been happening between the two. They are learning boundaries and when one yelps the other backs off. Thank you again!

How are your foster puppies doing? How is the momma? Do you have names picked for them yet?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.