Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Thank you Annageckos!!!! That makes sense. I'll make changes with Hopper right away.
I know this will sound odd. But I have had some intense nighttime whiners. A trick that has worked more often than not is to get the youtube app on your phone. Search for puppy calming sounds and find one that is 10+ hours. Set your phone by the crate and let them be! It works about 75% of the time so far in my experience.

Also, I think that, since you are in it for the long haul now, you should invest in some puppy/dog books. There are so many good ones to recommend. If I had to choose one for you though I would go with The Puppy Primer by Patricia McConnell(she is my favorite dog author, so I'm partial) DF.com also has a sticky in the behavior section with a thorough list of books to choose from. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Sorry it took so long to answer!
I separated the two for a couple days, and the situation sort of resolved itself. I've taught them to sit when they want my attention and they've realized that bickering won't get them what they want. I think also that it might have been a phase??

Thank you for your suggestion about music!! After just two nights Hopper was able to relax for bed and (believe it or not) they slept without music for a full seven hours last night!
Yup, it's a bit traumatic the first time you see puppies whose natural tendency is towards aggressive play, biting, etc. But having a playmate that teaches her that that behavior is unacceptable is really important. As long as cricket is stopping when the other sister yelps than all is well in the world :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.