Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cricket and Hopper are the two hound/lab puppies that I got when they were only five weeks old. There mom was hit by a car when they were almost four weeks old, and they were pretty sick when I brought them home. They are growing and healthy now though! We've decided (about 80% sure) to adopt Cricket (the one with very dark brown points) and foster Hopper (the one with tan points and white paws).

Hopper problem:
When it's time for bed, the puppies have been fairly good about going to bed. Cricket will lay down when I tell her "it's time for bed" and set her in her bin for the night. Hopper, on the other hand, will whine and whine. Nobody can sleep! The other night I put her in the bed with me and she went right to sleep. After she went to sleep I set her in her bin because I don't think she is big enough to safely be in bed with us. Is Hopper emotional needy? Is this separation anxiety and did I encourage her by putting her in the bed?

Cricket problem:
For the most part the sisters get along, but there is a problem developing. When I give Hopper attention her sister growls and pounces on her with teeth showing and everything. Hopper yelps and backs up submissively. Is Cricket displaying possessiveness? Should I be concerned that she might show aggression to one of the human family members when she gets older? What can I do to prevent her from being so attached with me that she hurts one of the kids?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
911 Posts
You are reinforcing the whining by taking her out and letting her sleep in your bed when she whines. If you want her sleeping in her own spot at night you have to ignore her crying. I've always let the dogs sleep in bed when they were little pups. But each person has their own opinion about it.

Jumping on siblings is pretty common with puppies. Puppies will growl and bite each other. Pushing in on another dog getting attention is also common. It sounds like one puppy is more bossy than the other. That doesn't mean the puppy is going to be dog or human aggressive though.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Annageckos!!!! That makes sense. I'll make changes with Hopper right away.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Thank you Annageckos!!!! That makes sense. I'll make changes with Hopper right away.
I know this will sound odd. But I have had some intense nighttime whiners. A trick that has worked more often than not is to get the youtube app on your phone. Search for puppy calming sounds and find one that is 10+ hours. Set your phone by the crate and let them be! It works about 75% of the time so far in my experience.

Also, I think that, since you are in it for the long haul now, you should invest in some puppy/dog books. There are so many good ones to recommend. If I had to choose one for you though I would go with The Puppy Primer by Patricia McConnell(she is my favorite dog author, so I'm partial) DF.com also has a sticky in the behavior section with a thorough list of books to choose from. Hope this helps

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I meant to respond to the cricket problem too and completely forgot..smh

When she pounces on her sister and she yelps, does cricket stop and kinda just sit there for a second with her attention elsewhere?
Sorry it took so long to answer!
I separated the two for a couple days, and the situation sort of resolved itself. I've taught them to sit when they want my attention and they've realized that bickering won't get them what they want. I think also that it might have been a phase??

Thank you for your suggestion about music!! After just two nights Hopper was able to relax for bed and (believe it or not) they slept without music for a full seven hours last night!

·
Registered
38 Posts
My lab/hound puppy is now 18 months and 100 pounds. They are a GREAT breed. Mine occasionally is showing aggression/possessive tendencies but otherwise he's a total sweetheart. Good luck w/your two. Wonderful breed combo.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Sorry it took so long to answer!
I separated the two for a couple days, and the situation sort of resolved itself. I've taught them to sit when they want my attention and they've realized that bickering won't get them what they want. I think also that it might have been a phase??

Thank you for your suggestion about music!! After just two nights Hopper was able to relax for bed and (believe it or not) they slept without music for a full seven hours last night!
Yup, it's a bit traumatic the first time you see puppies whose natural tendency is towards aggressive play, biting, etc. But having a playmate that teaches her that that behavior is unacceptable is really important. As long as cricket is stopping when the other sister yelps than all is well in the world :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, that is exactly what's been happening between the two. They are learning boundaries and when one yelps the other backs off. Thank you again!

How are your foster puppies doing? How is the momma? Do you have names picked for them yet?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.