Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He's a German Shorthaired Pointer mix. He's 10 months old, and really has only gained about three pounds in the past three months. He still has big paws and is awkward, so I think he might have another growth spurt ahead.

I feed him Acana - the bag suggests about 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 cup per day for his weight. However, I feed him only 2 cups per day, and also use treats for training. I don't use a lot of treats everyday, though in some days I will if he's in obedience class.

I'm basing his portions off his appearance. They say you should be able to feel the ribs but not see them. Right now I can feel his ribs, but not see them. Sometimes it does seem like his hips are bony and stick out a bit, but he's not very skinny and always has lots of energy.

That said, is it possible I'm feeding him too little? Just wanted some feedback.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
He's a German Shorthaired Pointer mix. He's 10 months old, and really has only gained about three pounds in the past three months. He still has big paws and is awkward, so I think he might have another growth spurt ahead.

I feed him Acana - the bag suggests about 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 cup per day for his weight. However, I feed him only 2 cups per day, and also use treats for training. I don't use a lot of treats everyday, though in some days I will if he's in obedience class.

I'm basing his portions off his appearance. They say you should be able to feel the ribs but not see them. Right now I can feel his ribs, but not see them. Sometimes it does seem like his hips are bony and stick out a bit, but he's not very skinny and always has lots of energy.

That said, is it possible I'm feeding him too little? Just wanted some feedback.
Its always good to keep on the lean side however id right now or when you can stand behind him while he stands and run your hands over his body till get to hips, if something doesnt sit right with your gut eg bony hips then id seriously up the amount a bit.

My brothers golden retriever was nearly malnourished and his hop bones stuck out a bit but he was on eukanuba soon as he got on a better food he had fat covering his hips but just nicely.

you could try feeding another 1/2 cup but what season is it where your located and how active is he on daily basis? if he is really active you need to up it by 1/2 or 3/4 cup

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Each day he gets either two short walks or one trip single trip to the dog park (one mile walk each way). Dog park trips are about twice a week. Other times he's lounging around my condo with me or in his crate when I leave the home.

Every 10-12 days when he's getting a little antsy I do a "reset" where I take him to daycare and he gets to just run around with other dogs for 10 hours. He always comes back exhausted and better behaved, and we just continue with our routine until he seems to have lots of excess energy again.

I do feel his spine when I run my hands down his back, all the way down to the bumps on his spine. That said, he seems well filled out and definitely has padding on his stomach.

I guess I can't tell what's skinny or fat or just his natural shape. Foe reference, the dog in this video is skinnier than my dog. Mine has more around the belly. Of course maybe that's just his shape?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JutDvXNETE

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
have you any recent side and top view photos of him and of course we love photos on here a general pic of him? that would tell us alot more

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Like people, each dog metabolizes food at different rates. The recommended quantity should be taken as a general guide, a starting point so to speak. I know in our case, Samantha gets about half the recommended quantity, and still she tends to put weight on. She and I walk about a mile and a half every morning, but she simply tends to put weight on. Part of her diet consists of diet prescription food, but we watch and limit treats daily. When I say half the recommended, that's the dog food portion, though she certainly gets additional nutrition daily. Her blood work is great, so we are apparently doing something right.

·
Registered
880 Posts
So GSPs are a lean breed, so that is something to keep in mind. After watching the video I wanted to post a couple pictures of Trucker to hopefully easy your mind.

Trucker is considered to be in the center of "Breed Standard" for height (25.5in/64.77cm at the shoulder) and weight (60.1lbs/27.2609kg). The vet told me last time that she believes him to be one of the healthiest weight dogs she has under her care (neither under- or over- weight).

Trucker's Ribs are always visible (minimal fat covering them):

When Trucker stretches his ribs stick out and he looks extremely thin:

As you can see he is no where malnourished (this is just characteristic of his breed when they are kept at lighter weights):

I would talk to the vet or other GSP owners and see if they think you GSP is at a healthy weight, I think this is going to be your best bet. IMO he is beautiful and looks healthy/at a good "hunting" weight. "Hunting" weight for dogs is usually slightly lower than a pet would be kept at it is also normally healthier on their joints and provides them more energy.

Reactions: crazy

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
@TruckersMom thats first time i seen pics of him! what a georgeous dog and so fit and lean so nice to see healthy weight dogs!

·
Registered
880 Posts
@crazy Thank you so much :) (this made my day), for the first month I thought I was starving him but then we finally had our first vet appointment and she assured me that he was 100% healthy. It is a tendency of "hunting" dog owners to over feed their pets because they think the same thing I did.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
@crazy Thank you so much :) (this made my day), for the first month I thought I was starving him but then we finally had our first vet appointment and she assured me that he was 100% healthy. It is a tendency of "hunting" dog owners to over feed their pets because they think the same thing I did.
Your welcome and glad it made your day! Trust me Jessie might not be the same breed but ive worried that she has needed more weight on her to be told the same. if you check out i think the last page of my post PMR questions you will see just how lean Jessie is! did get number 1 cut but shows her true body condition

·
Registered
880 Posts
@crazy She is lean but looks a lean healthy weight. She really is adorable. Her hair shows off her amazing facial expressions.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
@crazy She is lean but looks a lean healthy weight. She really is adorable. Her hair shows off her amazing facial expressions.
yeah i always weigh her on my bathroom scales every other day to keep a eye on her weight and so i know if to feed more or less :) she had put on weight but lost it again on that photo :) yeah too adorable at times :) i love how that hair cut really shows off the australian terrier body. Her face is so expressive especially when wanting food lol

Reactions: TruckersMom
1 - 11 of 11 Posts