Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any body have any experience with bee stings? i'm pretty sure my dog was stung on monday. he is not showing any signs of an allergy/shock or anything, just limping now. i've been giving him benedryl...
any advice would be appreciated.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sparky was stung by a bee, we braught him to the vet though because it got swollen, it prob didn't have an effect on your dog because he's bigger though.
It went away on its own though

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, i kind of assumed it would vary, does with people too. i've never actually had a dog react much at all before. i'm not terribly worried or i would have taken him to the vet. it looks like he stepped on one, but i can't find the spot where the sting was. he is limping a bit, and the redness has gone down...i wonder, should i let him use it as much as he wants or try to keep him off of it for a bit, he is getting bored i think so i've been giving him lots of chewies to keep him occupied. what about healing time? thanks for the input.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
yeah, i kind of assumed it would vary, does with people too. i've never actually had a dog react much at all before. i'm not terribly worried or i would have taken him to the vet. it looks like he stepped on one, but i can't find the spot where the sting was. he is limping a bit, and the redness has gone down...i wonder, should i let him use it as much as he wants or try to keep him off of it for a bit, he is getting bored i think so i've been giving him lots of chewies to keep him occupied. what about healing time? thanks for the input.
Why do you think its a bee? Did you find a dead bee? I wonder if it could be a thorn stuck somewhere. That happens to my moms dogs and they get welts, if we can find the thorn we pull it out and rinse the foot with peroxide and water.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
whenever my dogs step on som'thing I can never find it on their foot...bugs the crap out of me...their foot obviously hurts...but theres nothing there.

Ussually they walk normal on it again after an hour or so.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why do you think its a bee? Did you find a dead bee? I wonder if it could be a thorn stuck somewhere. That happens to my moms dogs and they get welts, if we can find the thorn we pull it out and rinse the foot with peroxide and water.
i wasn't there when it happened but my friend saw bees around. i felt all around the spot (between the pads on first toe and pad), it was red and a little swollen, but no thorns or anything. the benedryl helped with the redness and it is less swollen now. i've been checking it 1-2x a day to see if it changes.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
If it does't go away soon it probably isn't a bee sting. Just because you can't see something in the foot doesn't mean there isn't. May have the tip of a thorn broken off in there, and you'd never see it. Try squeezing the pads like popping a pimple.. sometimes a bead of serum will come up

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it does't go away soon it probably isn't a bee sting. Just because you can't see something in the foot doesn't mean there isn't. May have the tip of a thorn broken off in there, and you'd never see it. Try squeezing the pads like popping a pimple.. sometimes a bead of serum will come up
thank you, i will keep an eye on it for the weekend, and if it doesn't improve anymore, i'll take him in on monday. it is pretty difficult to see anything on his foot, they are webbed and furry and he is a squirmer! i think i will enlist some muscle to help hold him still to look at it more closely, thanks!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I hate bees, but if it is true that bee who cause your dog in that condition. I think you should go to the veterinarian if he's condition is still the same after three days just to make sure what really cause that kind of condition to your dog.

It might help you this site about bee sting remedies 100 Bee Sting Remedies

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you all for your replies, clover is much improved, hardly any swelling, redness, licking, and no limping :) today we are going swimming......

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts