Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 month old pup eats everything. Problem is, he has inflammatory bowel disease. He eats the blanket in his crate and just threw up all over the rug. My kids are home with him and cleaning it up, lol... But I've found blanket pieces in his stool and holes in the blankets before as well. He chews holes in anything with stuffing. I took the blanket out and left him on the plastic tray one day and he peed in the crate.

Any suggestions for the bottom of his crate?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For now, I'd say your best bet is just to leave the crate empty.
I know, you're right. But I know he's going to pee and poop in it again:-( He doesn't have the same "den" instinct since he had so many accidents with his diarrhea.

This is a bummer...

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Kong makes chew resistant dog beds. If she's not that determined of a chewer then that may work for her.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Recently no, but 3 times since we took him home in March. He's had EVERYTHING, literally, except an endoscopy with biopsy for this problem (that he had in the car on the way home from the rescue we picked him up from, I might add). He doesn't usually throw up... Unless he's in the car for more than 10 minutes... But the diarrhea is a constant struggle.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Have you talked to your vet about finding an appropriate food? Some dogs can be very sensitive to certain ingredients or meats...They just don't digest well. It might be a bit of trial and error to find a food that settles with him, best to start with single meat foods if you can.

As for bedding, yeah, I'd say it might be best to just not use bedding :( I'm not sure how "chew proof" the "chew proof" beds are...If she's a very determined chewer, they might not hold up. Another idea is carpet...You can cut a piece of carpet to fit the bottom of the cage exactly. She may not mess with it since it'll be pretty stationary.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kong makes chew resistant dog beds. If she's not that determined of a chewer then that may work for her.
My other dog destroyed hers in about 20 minutes so I never tried it, if its the same one.
Maybe I'll look for another.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I am about to make new dog beds before we move & this time we are using bulka bag material (they are huge white bags bulk seed is bought in & they are made of a very tough material as they need to be able to handle hanging a ton off the forklift by the handles) & filling them with alpaca & sheep wool that is leg pieces etc so not worth putting in your sale wool bales.
then we use the seed bag sewing machine to sow them up. We can get several beds from 1 bag.
I then make simple covers that go over similar to a doona cover & have several so they can be in the wash it or replaced.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Maybe hay? That and towels are the only things Deuce won't rip to shreds.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you talked to your vet about finding an appropriate food? Some dogs can be very sensitive to certain ingredients or meats...They just don't digest well. It might be a bit of trial and error to find a food that settles with him, best to start with single meat foods if you can.

As for bedding, yeah, I'd say it might be best to just not use bedding :( I'm not sure how "chew proof" the "chew proof" beds are...If she's a very determined chewer, they might not hold up. Another idea is carpet...You can cut a piece of carpet to fit the bottom of the cage exactly. She may not mess with it since it'll be pretty stationary.
The food/medication thing is pretty much covered. He's just transitioning from prescription z/d (which didn't really work) to LID with a novel protein, etc. I had to start him back on his metronidazole 2 days ago when it started up again. He's been on a few different foods, had been on hills I/D diet before... Not of it has really worked. I changed vets. We've spent about $2,500, I think more now, on evaluating this. He's had specialty labs, ultrasound, urine studies, stool tests... You name it. She actually told me the only thing left is the biopsy by endoscopy....

You might be on to something with carpet if I could bend the sides over so he can't get to the edge or the corners.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe hay? That and towels are the only things Deuce won't rip to shreds.
Yup, he's eaten his share of towels already. Hay would definitely fall into the food category for him....

I've even tried feeding him more, thinking maybe with his malabsorption he's just still hungry. Doesn't seem to help. I already give him more than recommended. He's a perfect weight for his frame, and gaining at 1.5 lbs per week still. So I think he's getting enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts