Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have always let our dogs sleep in the bed with us ( I know, bad mistake). We have a california King bed but with 3 dogs with us, we're cramped.
Do you think it's possible to train the dogs now to sleep on their dog bed on the floor???
Do you think it's too late??

Jax is 4, Jazmine is 3 and Griffin is 7 ( we just got him)

·
Registered
172 Posts
You can always teach a new behavior. One of my dogs sleeps on the bed with me sometimes, but I taught him a command to send him to his dog bed.

My dog always wanted to sleep in the bed when we got him. I blocked him when he tried and sent him to his dog bed next to my bed. The dog beds are next to my bed so they can still be close to me without being in my bed.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Like children, dogs learn that there's been a change in household rule pretty fast. The best thing to do is to cut them off and never, ever bend for any reason. They will quickly forget and become accoustomed to their new beds.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Funny the habits dogs form. Samantha will always go to bed with my wife and me, usually between us, but sometime during the night, she will go downstairs to her favorite pillow on the sofa in the family room. Then early in the morning, while my wife and I have coffee in bed and watch the morning news, Samantha will come back upstairs and join us again. This is an every night ritual, she never misses.

·
Registered
286 Posts
i think it is never to late. the dogs might be a bit confused to start with, and it will take some strength on your part. get them some nice comfy baskets, that might help. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
To those who have achieved this, how do you prevent the dog from sneaking into your bed after you fall asleep? Mine gets off and goes to his bed on command. But I always wake up with him in my bed again. I think he waits for me to fall asleep before getting in. Sometimes he "tests" by putting up one paw before I fall asleep. Then he tries again later. I think he just keeps trying until he puts up a paw and I do nothing because I'm asleep.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my problem is I have 3 dogs..I think 2 of them will listen well and follow through, they have border collie in them and are so smart. my big guy is a scared belgian malinois and he is smart but when we try to get him off the bed, he shakes and im afraid he will pee. I'm not sure when to start this, maybe this weekend. I have 2 dog beds and need to get one more.

·
Registered
254 Posts
my problem is I have 3 dogs..I think 2 of them will listen well and follow through, they have border collie in them and are so smart. my big guy is a scared belgian malinois and he is smart but when we try to get him off the bed, he shakes and im afraid he will pee. I'm not sure when to start this, maybe this weekend. I have 2 dog beds and need to get one more.

LOL your dog has trained you to be so afraid he will pee that you won't inforce the rules!

But wait until they each have their own bed. not allowing them a bed and making them give up yours is just mean.

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
How about starting with the two border collie mixes first? If you can relocate them to the floor for a couple of nights, maybe the Malinois will follow and join them.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Do you think it's too late??

Jax is 4, Jazmine is 3 and Griffin is 7 ( we just got him)
Mine were allowed on the couch until about 4 years ago. We got new stuff and wanted to keep it that way. It took a little time but they now sleep in their beds We got them real cushy beds though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts