Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Aayla is making things difficult. She has figured out the joy of making a small hole in beds and pulling out the stuffing. When I first got her she didn't like beds. It was way too hot and she would end up panting and circling until I took it out. For a while now she has only had a heavy duty non stuffed blanket. Recently its been cold and I've noticed she has been trying to make a bed for herself. So I gave her beds back. The first night she slept on it and then while waiting for me to wake up (between her first morning potty (6:00am) and me actually deciding to get up (6:30-7:00am)) she tore a hole into the bottom and started defluffing.

She has chews and a stuffed animal with her for chewing on, yet she has now torn up two beds in the morning and all I have is her blanket. She is preferring that over her toys/chews. She has not destroyed anything yet besides that.

Most mornings I can just take her out when she gets up, but at 4:30am it isn't going to happen. She is already getting two walks that are between 20-30 minutes long. Multiple play and training sessions throughout the day. I don't think stimulation is a problem. I just need a more indestructible bed.

Any ideas? I have been considering multiple blankets.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Any dog that chews on or tries to eat pads in their crate will not have any, at least in my case. Heard of a very unfortunate incident at a show where a dog was found dead, only to find out later that he had ingested a bunch of stuffing out of his bed. It may seem uncomfortable or not ideal, but they will do just fine for a reasonable period of time on the plastic mat. This is especially the case if she outgrows the habit after awhile, as most puppies do.

Now, if you do really want to try something and the only problem you have is her ripping out the stuffing (not eating it or chewing on the bed material itself) perhaps you can consider some sort of stuffing free pad. Something to give her a little cushion and something to snuggle, but that doesn't provide the joy of stuffing. I have a number of crate pads like that which I've bought at dog shows. Lots of dogs like the fluffy fleecy ones, but she may tear at the fleece. I prefer the ones that are pretty fabric on the outside with thin batting on the inside. Don't know if she'd find the stuff inside appealing or not. I also have a couple that are pretty thin with more of a canvas type of material. Those are designed to be pretty durable, but as my dog doesn't chew beds I haven't tested it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@DuckDodgers Thats part of what I was worrying about. Luckily it looks like she didn't eat any of it, just tore it out. She has a blanket that she does fine with. Its an outdoor blanket that is a little more heavy duty and it isn't stuffed. So at least she will have that until maybe she grows out of chewing beds up. I had hoped there was a miracle heavy duty bed.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I agree with not giving her any beds. If she does fine with blankets maybe you can put another one around the inside edges of her kennel (if that makes sense), so its like a bed but not.

Sawyer did this too when he was younger. I used to use a whole bunch of old towls instead, but I found he preferd just the plain plastic anyways since it was cooler especially on hot days. I'm pretty sure he's grown out of it now, but he never really spends time in his kennel anymore since he has fre roam. She might grow out of it as she gets older but for now I deffinitly agree with forgoing the bed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I saw this behavior myself when I gave my Haley (Lab mix-know more when the DNA test results are in) a nice big bed.

I felt sorry for her just lying on a blanket on the floor so got her a good sized bed. It was a foam mat surrounded by a nice cozy ring of soft stuff.

She loved it.

Next time I looked at it-it was behind my chair-Haley was sitting in the middle of piles of soft black stuffing and still busily and quietly working her way around the ring, pulling out the stuffing as though it was a job that had to be done. Right away.

I cleaned up all the loose material and left her lying happily on a still comfortable-looking cloth-covered foam pad.

Still later when I checked on her again since she was so quiet, I found her once again busy at work.

This time she had turned that nice smooth bed pad into an interesting collage of different sizes and shapes of foam interspersed with colorful bits of cotton canvas cloth !

Whole job done so quietly too.

We're back to the blanket !

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Aspen did this for a while. I used to put old sheets in there that I was ready to toss anyway. I bought a bunch of cheap sheets when they went on sale. I'd put 2 or 3 in her crate for her to nest with. She always shredded them. I'd piece them back together and she didn't eat any, thankfully. She's over that now so she has a regular dog bed in there with a fleece throw to nest with.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So those of you who noticed bed destroying, at what age did you give beds back and figure out it was okay? She isn't much of a destroyer (besides her beds) yet. I don't know how she will fare when she starts teething though.
@Sabina88 @netnanna @Aspen726

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
I gave Aspen hers back in August (she was about a year old) when we went away. She was staying at a boarding facility so I bought her a cheap bed so she had something to sleep on. I expected to come back and have it shredded but it wasn't. I washed it then put it in her crate and she's had it ever since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.