Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!

My name is Nicole and I'm new to this site. I found it today through a google search. So far, I've enjoyed browsing through the topics and reading what everyone has to say. Lots of good wisdom floatin' around here!

Anyways, I've been thinking about becoming a dog walker / trainer and was wondering if anyone out there had any tips on how to get started, and how to build a clientel. I've been reading up on it but any advice I can get from experienced walkers and trainers would be very, very helpful.

Thanks!

· Registered
280 Posts
I would start by working with a experienced trainer/dog walker (depending on which career you want to do).

Ask if you can volunteer (or better yet get a job doing the grunt work) with them and learn from them.

You need to know how to read a dogs body language, understand how the dog's mind works, be familiar with different breed traits and also figure out what type of trainer you want to be.

I belong to a breed club, a obedience club and a tracking club and I also do agility with my dogs, I don't think the people I train under just started out doing it on their own. I know they had mentors and worked for them for YEARS before they even thought about going out on their own.

I would start from there.

Be sure you are bondable, insured properly and have a good contact written up when you do start though.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Elizabeth,

Thanks for the reply. I don't know of any dog walkers or trainers that I can join with. The ones I have approached have never responded to my emails or phone calls. I tried to get my foot in the door with a rescue here, but they wanted me to transport dogs and supplies, and I don't have the money or right car to help with that.

I think I'll just have to learn by taking the plunge, reading books, watching vids, and trying to market myself. Well, since there aren't any dog walkers or trainers in the area, at least I know I'm not stepping on anyones toes or territory.

Thanks for the advice though. I'm already insured but not bonded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.