Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first off I have a question for anyone that is certified: I've been looking into it for a while and from what I've seen most apprenticeships either pay you and you sign a contract, or have specific programs. I messaged a few trainers in my area and one of them told me they offer a 4 day program for $2000!! That seems ridiculous to me to pay $2000 for 30 hours when you need 300 to be certified. Am I just misinformed or is that program somewhat of a scam?
Secondly would anyone certified be willing to share their experience? I have bachelors degree but can't seem to get certified to be a trainer lol. If anyone has any suggestions or tips I would be so grateful :)

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
In the uk, the problem is that dog training is unregulated so my 92 year old neighbour who has never owned a dog in her life could, if she wished, set herself up as a trainer or behaviourist.

We do have a small number of organisations that train trainers and behaviourists to high standards and which are demanding of their members. The problem though is that the average pet owner doesn't know the difference between the value of being a member of these, from other awarding bodies with less stringent standards. Not that membership itself always makes a difference, there are fabulous trainers who choose not to join. But, on the other hand, one of our (dreadful) tv personality trainers is introduced in his tv programme as being a Master Trainer from some organisation which doesn't regulate its members, he basically bought his ”qualification” for £75. And I can't watch him, I want to throw things at the tv when he appears.

I know that doesn't help, it's just a pet peeve of mine and I will be interested to hear how the US does things - not least because of one of your (even more dreadful) tv celebrity trainers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I know which of our trainers you mean and the woman that is trying to charge me the $2000 has in her title that she follows his methods so that was a red flag.
The way it is here is similar in that you don't actually need any certification but you really do need it to get any clientele especially because I live in LA where people are pretty well informed. To get certification you need 300 hours of shadowing/apprenticeship and then you take a test. So it's all pretty up in the air. Up until this woman I did not see anyone that charges really anything to help train you because all you really do is watch.They basically get a free assistant.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
What about the Victoria Stillwell Academy? To be honest, it isn't (IME) as well thought of as the APDT amongst people who know, but (1) the training methods are sound and (2) for the average pet owner, it might be a more recognisable name.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts