Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with the breed. I'm a big fan of the European Shepherd Breeds and on paper they seem like awesome dogs and a good fit for me so I've been researching them a lot as a future dog. They seem fairly similar to German Shepherds which are another breed I'm interested in. Only problem I have is I have no personal comparison between the two breeds as I've never met a Beauceron.

Either dog I get I do plan of doing lots of training and dog sports (herding, protection, agility, etc) as I want a dog to actually work with. They won't just be a lawn ornament or fashion accessory.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I've only met one so I don't have a lot of experience with the breed. He's beautiful, majestic, and BIG! Fairly laid back, sometimes playful, sometimes aloof. He's a good dog. I don't know how they are as a breed, but I really like the one I know.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Someone on this site definitely has one but I don't remember her username. I can't say I know a lot about the breed though.

·
Registered
101 Posts
@traciek88 If you go to the dogs section, you'll see the dog you're talkin about -Spicy, but the person hasn't been on since 2011...
I've never met one either, but they're one of my favorite breeds. They're that kind of dog that you love but it might not be the right time nor maybe experience for one..
I've heard they're more reactive, and takes more patience to train than a GSD. They're also supposed to be extreeeemely more reserved with strangers.
They're good dogs, I don't think there's much difference, but a good breeder will probably be harder to find. Whatever you do decide to get, you better post pictures! Especially if its a beauceron

·
Registered
9 Posts
They are BIG. A friend had one, and he was fairly well trained. He was just very young and got excited quickly. She was fit an strong, but when she became pregnant could not walk the dog as he managed to pull her over.

They're fantastic with kids too.

I know they have the double dew claw, and from seeing it, I'd be constantly worried they'd catch on things! There aren't THAT many breeders as far as I'm aware, but if you've got a big garden and lots of dog walking time, I'm sure they'd make a great dog for you.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
@xmitters, no there was someone this summer who posted about getting a Beauceron puppy. It was recent but she might not have made a dog profile for him.

·
Registered
101 Posts
@traciek88 ohhh okay.. yeah I wasn't that active this summer, but maybe she did just forget to. Maybe the puppy took a bunch of her time to get on here ha

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
@xmitters, no there was someone this summer who posted about getting a Beauceron puppy. It was recent but she might not have made a dog profile for him.
I had to do a search on it, but it was Mmygreen that got one. Last activity was 8-6-15 so s/he's probably still posting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.