Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before Theo can come to live with us, we really need to get his separation anxiety under control. We have a year to work on it so a "quick fix" isn't necessary, and it probably doesn't exist anyhow.

It's not too much of a problem right now because he lives with my mom, who is a stay at home mom, so he's not left alone too often. When he comes to live with us though, that won't be the case.

He becomes destructive, so we crate him when no one is home. To illustrate the degree of his destructiveness, he's broken out of two crates so far, and has done some work on his current one too (but it's definitely still useable). Lately we've been providing him a variety of toys while in his crate, and I think that's helped this some though.

The thing that we REALLY need to get under control is his howling. He'll howl and howl when he's put in the crate because he knows people are leaving. I know that eventually he calms down because he's always quiet when we return home, but in the beginning he is very noisy (I can hear him from outside the house). This just won't do because we're going to be living in an apartment. Thoughts on how to stop this?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a picture of Theo's current crate. You can see the damage. He also chewed the plastic crate bottom, so he doesn't have a pan in it anymore.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Suggest you take Theo for a regular walk or play time before you leave. Much like tire him out just to release the excessive energy he has. So he can be likely more calm when you're away. I tend to do a 30min-1 hour long-walk to my Rottweiler before I go to work. Seems effective as he sleeps all the time.

Or may be the crate is too small for him. How long does Theo stays in his crate?

I have no long-term experience in crate training/separation anxiety. Hope this helps and let's just wait for better responses from experts here :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts