Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

I have a 4 year old beagle girl. This past summer about 1.5 months ago my dog all of a sudden started running nonstop in our fenced in yard until she would vomit and pass out. This behavior started around the same time as the cicada’s (cricket like bugs) appeared.

We put food and water out for her but she won't go near it. She is too busy hunting the cicadas. Some weekends we go to the beach and she is fine /normal at the other house, but when we get home she goes nuts again.

Has anyone experienced this or something similar? Will this madness stop?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Stop leaving her outside unattended, she could die. Seriously, my SIL's neighbor's beagle died doing that.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
You've got to prevent her from doing this. You may come home to a dead dog if you don't. Dogs in high prey drive mode don't realize they're overheating until it's too late. Keep her inside until the cicadas are gone.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Why can you not stop her? Why can't you take her outside, only on lead, so she has no opportunity to run until she passes out? Cicadas aren't around all the time so it's not like this would be forever.

I don't know what kind of response you expected. I could tell you to get a 100% reliable recall on her but by the time that was done, the cicadas would be gone or your dog would be dead.

You provided almost no information and now you're upset because you got short answers that are accurate based on what you chose to share. Well done to you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How is your comment accurate based on the facts? I gave an overview of the problem and ask "Has anyone experienced this or something similar? " From there you made assumptions on how I am handling my dog.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I misunderstood. I see you wanted to share anecdotal experiences about dogs who run until they pass out.

I trained hunting dogs for many years. The really high energy dogs would go until they collapsed. They didn't know when to quit. We recognized this and used our larger brains to make sure they did not exhaust themselves to death. For some dogs, this intense drive never ends as long as there is "prey" to hunt. That meant always monitoring closely and knowing each individual dog's physical limits and being aware that outside temperatures play a part too. It meant learning to recognize the physical signs of heat exhaustion and learning how to treat them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMG my dog is running the neighborhood unattended!!!!!! What should I do? If only I headed the great advice of not leaving her unattended or used a leash I would not be in this predicament.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Please stop being immature and sarcastic. That's not going to help your dog. Focus on her, because nobody here wants her to die.

You say she is not left outside unsupervised. That is a good step. From personal experience, I know how difficult it can be to catch a dog once it gets riled up by something. I pet sit for a couple Beagles myself, as well as other high-drive dogs including a working hunting Labrador.

You cannot change what has already happened, but you can do your utmost to try to prevent it in the future. The leash is a good suggestion, which you can implement at least until the cicadas go away (I hate those bugs so much). You want to be able to have full control over her while she's outside. Without some form of direct control, like a leash, that is pretty much impossible unless she has a perfect recall.

Until the cicadas die off for the year, I wouldn't put her outside without direct control. You can walk around the yard with her and let her do her thing, but if you feel she's getting out of hand, remove her from the situation. Bring her inside, give her some water if she'll drink it, play with her inside so she keeps her mind away from hunting those pesky insects.

When the bugs do eventually stop coming around, really invest in working on training a good recall and "leave it" commands. Perhaps not monetarily investing, but it's very easy to train on your own. It just takes a bit of time to work on. A good recall and default "leave it" self-control will easily prevent this for future years.

Good luck with your baby girl!

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
Yes, I had a dog that would have done that had I let him. He was a very hyper, terrier mix and would run as long as I allowed him to do so, and it didn't matter how hot the weather was r how over heated he was getting. My solution was to not let him do it and force him to periodically stop and cool off. I couldn't force him to lay down, I couldn't force him to relax and chill out, but I could force him to stop running and cool down.

Dogs die from heat stroke and it sounds like that may be what is happening to your boy, so I hope that you are now making an effort to stop him before he reaches that point.

I don't see where anyone said that you were letting your dog run around the neighborhood, so I'm confused as to why you made such a statement. Out of your 4 post 2 of them is to reprimand people who were nice enough to try and help you. And 1 was completely sarcastic.... Here's some sarcasm for you.... Well done, you stood out in the yard with your dog supervising her as she ran herself the to point that she vomited and passed out, then when she started the same behavior, at a later time, you once again stood and watched as she ran till she vomited and passed out instead of trying to stop her. Now I ask you, would you rather us assume that is what you did, or that the dog was out in the yard unsupervised (a lot of us let our dogs out in the yard and don't stay out there with them)?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let’s get something straight. My nut job of a dog, has only done this got sick and passed out twice. We have been walking her since we figured out what was going on. I came onto this site to see if I could find another dog owner who is or has experienced the same issue I am. My concern in the bugs are not the problem and it is something else making her go crazy. I think the problem is the cicadas, but I can’t know for sure it’s not something else in the yard. I was hoping to find someone who said, yes I have had that exact problem before…. and yes it was the bugs. Once they die things will go back to normal.

If you look at my initial post, all I was asking was had someone had this issue before. Instead, I have you folks chiming in telling me things like stop leaving the dog unattended, use a leash and you can come home to a dead dog….

BTW…. last night she finally caught a cicada. She ate it and did not like the taste. I think she is done hunting them / problem solved.

This was interesting and provided some good laughs around the dinner table last night. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
Let’s get something straight. My nut job of a dog, has only done this got sick and passed out twice. We have been walking her since we figured out what was going on. I came onto this site to see if I could find another dog owner who is or has experienced the same issue I am. My concern in the bugs are not the problem and it is something else making her go crazy. I think the problem is the cicadas, but I can’t know for sure it’s not something else in the yard. I was hoping to find someone who said, yes I have had that exact problem before…. and yes it was the bugs. Once they die things will go back to normal.

If you look at my initial post, all I was asking was had someone had this issue before. Instead, I have you folks chiming in telling me things like stop leaving the dog unattended, use a leash and you can come home to a dead dog….

BTW…. last night she finally caught a cicada. She ate it and did not like the taste. I think she is done hunting them / problem solved.

This was interesting and provided some good laughs around the dinner table last night. Thanks.
Here's your original post...
Hi -

I have a 4 year old beagle girl. This past summer about 1.5 months ago my dog all of a sudden started running nonstop in our fenced in yard until she would vomit and pass out. This behavior started around the same time as the cicada’s (cricket like bugs) appeared.

We put food and water out for her but she won't go near it. She is too busy hunting the cicadas. Some weekends we go to the beach and she is fine /normal at the other house, but when we get home she goes nuts again.

Has anyone experienced this or something similar? Will this madness stop?
Notice that you do not say that she's only done the behavior twice, the way you word the original post makes it seems like she's running like that every time she goes out.

The original post also does not say that you are now walking her to prevent the behavior. Instead you ask "Will this madness stop?" Which makes it seem like it's something you are continuing to allow happen.

In your original post you do not ask if something else could be causing her to act like she is. You just ask if anyone has experienced anything like it. Your only asking the last question is why we never answered if anything else could be causing it. Personally I know of nothing else that could but someone else may answer different.

Hey, if all of us being concerned for the health of your dog causes you amusement, then enjoy. If you decide to stick around, and post another question, giving complete information may get you better answers and less amusement.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Regardless of if anybody had the same/similar issue, it's a serious problem that you did not clarify whether or not you were controlling the dog for her own safety. All of the replies to your concerns were helpful, and definitely not in any way off topic or unwarranted. Your only response to people trying to understand and help the situation was to be extremely rude and confrontational. Quite frankly, that's disgusting behavior.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Regardless of if anybody had the same/similar issue, it's a serious problem that you did not clarify whether or not you were controlling the dog for her own safety. All of the replies to your concerns were helpful, and definitely not in any way off topic or unwarranted. Your only response to people trying to understand and help the situation was to be extremely rude and confrontational. Quite frankly, that's disgusting behavior.
Immature, sarcastic, rude and confrontational. What names have I called you or anyone else for that matter. How is that helpful : ).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's your original post...

Notice that you do not say that she's only done the behavior twice, the way you word the original post makes it seems like she's running like that every time she goes out.

The original post also does not say that you are now walking her to prevent the behavior. Instead you ask "Will this madness stop?" Which makes it seem like it's something you are continuing to allow happen.

In your original post you do not ask if something else could be causing her to act like she is. You just ask if anyone has experienced anything like it. Your only asking the last question is why we never answered if anything else could be causing it. Personally I know of nothing else that could but someone else may answer different.

Hey, if all of us being concerned for the health of your dog causes you amusement, then enjoy. If you decide to stick around, and post another question, giving complete information may get you better answers and less amusement.
so you made inaccurate assumptions.....

·
Registered
906 Posts
so you made inaccurate assumptions.....
You communicated poorly, and then blamed everyone else for your poor communication. If one person had misunderstood your original post, you might have had a reason for accusing that ONE person of assuming. But when it's everyone, then its YOUR problem, not theirs.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
It's been fun, but I'm done feeding her.:thumbsup::wave:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Immature, sarcastic, rude and confrontational. What names have I called you or anyone else for that matter. How is that helpful : ).
I've already given my advice on the matter, take it or leave it. And I didn't call you names. I made accurate observations of your attitude towards other people. Try being mature instead of attacking people who are giving you legitimate advice.

I hope your dog improves. I am done with you. Bye bye.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts