Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
We are considering a pocket beagle next spring. I have learned a lot about the breed by reading but am trying to find out from personal experience. How trainable are they? We will do obedience classes and we will have the time to devote to training. Can they be kept on a yard via wireless fence? Are the pocket beagles truly small? Are they good family dogs? Do they love people? Are they prone to disease? Are the affectionate and good with kids? Do they like to swim as we will be on a boat during days off for the summer. Do they like to travel in the car? Thanks :)

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Any breeder selling pocket beagles should be avoided. That is not an accepted beagle size and anyone breeding for it is not breeding for what a beagle is.

I adore beagles and am looking to get one myself early next year. I'll rescue an adult, but if I were going to buy, I'd go for one from hunting lines. Unfortunately, you need to know those kind of breeders personally to get one of their dogs, so you'd be looking at show breeders or rescue. Here's some good tips on finding a responsible breeder. This forum would be more than happy to suss out any breeders you're looking at as well.

Electric fences are shock collars, plain and simple. They don't prevent anything from coming into the yard, they do cause pain and can cause dogs to be afraid of the yard (or anything they happen to see when they get shocked, like children or other dogs), and a sufficiently determined dog can just blow through the shock.

Beagles are escape artists, they should not be left alone in a yard unsupervised. They will dig under or climb over a fence, and then they follow their noses into the next state. That's part of why there are so many in rescue.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Likewise, avoid breeders that are not reputable showing or working lines. Designer breeders and breeders of "pocket" dogs are basically BYBs.

A lot of things depend on the individual dog, but there are things that you see consistently in a breed. Beagles dig, bay, and are really prone to escaping. They are hounds so they are not the easiest dogs to train. Every interaction teaches a dog something, so it's not enough to do classes, maybe some sessions at home, and expect a perfect dog. You should constantly be reinforcing training even when you're not doing a training session.

Any dog can be kept on a wireless fence, but they are not a good thing to have. Other (potentially aggressive and dangerous) animals can get in, the dog inside can get out if they really want to, and they are painful for the dog. Not quite as important, but it is also terrifying for someone walking by to see a dog barking/growling/running at them in a yard with no visible barrier (albeit those are dogs with no/little/poor training, but still).

Most of the Beagles I've known were rather aloof. Almost like a cat with that "affection on my terms" attitude. The one who comes for daycare hates water with a passion. I wouldn't necessarily say they make great family pets, but they are very common.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I had Beagles before. My boy Snoopy was an exceptional Beagle though; he rarely barked, was small framed, and was ok off-leash every now and again (but never unsupervised). He was very affectionate and sweet. He would have made a great family dog if I had children. For the most part, Beagles are pretty hardy dogs, but need a lot of training to keep their energy level indoors tolerable.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I will reiterate what other users have said and suggest not to search for a pocket beagle for all the reasons stated above. If you were to get a "pocket beagle", none of the advice we give you would probably be useful because it will either be mixed with something very non-beagle or would have a very different temperament due to poor breeding.

I've owned beagles all my life and I currently have a 4 year old female working line beagle.

How trainable are they?
They are very smart and trainable. The whole idea that beagles are difficult to train mostly comes from them being as popular and widespread as a lab, but having very different motivations. A beagle isn't going to work for a "good dog" or a pat on the head, they are extremely food motivated and respond well to positive reinforcement. However, you need to be sure you're using food as a reward and not a lure, it can be difficult to fade the lure due to the typical "what's in it for me?" personalities that a lot of beagles have.

Can they be kept on a yard via wireless fence?
I'm not sure if you mean while supervised or not, but no to both. A dog shouldn't be left unsupervised in a yard without a proper run set up and a beagle really doesn't care enough about a little shock to not bear it to get to a rabbit. Supervision with a proper fence or tie out would be the best.

Are the pocket beagles truly small?
Beagles come in a 13 inch variety that is recognized as standard and weigh between 15-25lbs if you're looking for a smaller beagle.

Are they good family dogs?
Most beagles are usually great family dogs, especially if they grow up with a family. They're very adaptable and versatile dogs.

Do they love people?
...Eventually. Every beagle I've had was very suspicious of strangers, but warmed up if the stranger was friendly.

Are they prone to disease?
Not really, that's why they're used for lab testing. They're a very healthy breed, although they are prone to ear infections because of their big ears. I've also read that epilepsy is common, but I honestly don't see it anymore in beagles than I do in other popular breeds. I've personally never had a beagle that had it.

Are the affectionate and good with kids?
This mainly depends on the dog, but all my beagles have been affectionate and very good with kids. My current beagle will start squeaking and wagging her tail if she hears them. Beagles are cuddly, but also pretty independent. They'll be affectionate if they feel like it, but they'll also be happy sitting on their bed across the room while you watch tv.

Do they like to swim as we will be on a boat during days off for the summer.

I know very few beagles who like to swim, but I'm sure if taught from a young age it's possible.

Do they like to travel in the car?
My beagle and all my other beagles did very well in the car. My current beagle always goes for roadtrips with us, she curls right up in the back seat and sleeps most of the way.

Feel free to look through my posted threads about Jayne to see pictures/get an idea about her personality if that helps you: http://www.dogforum.com/search.php?searchid=6698841

Here's my Jayne:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your picture didn't show. But thank you so much. The breeder I have spoken with has 25 years into breeding for show and work
They are the under 13 inch size but he told me there is no such thing as a "pocket" beagle just a smaller size beagle. I was hesitant but this gives me hope

·
Registered
876 Posts
Ignore Carl484a, he/she/it is our personal forum troll and nothing more.
@smithfamilydog 25 years' breeding doesn't mean much these days unfortunately. Do they have a website by any chance? Have you been able to peek at their awards for their breeding dogs?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Beagles are a PITA? No true redeeming qualities, unless you like barking and dominance issues.
What would you know? All you know are dachshunds.

To the OP: Well tempered Beagles are wonderful dogs in the right home. I would not recommend using an invisible fence for a Beagle. They are prone to being distracted by a scent so a zap probably would do more harm than not. All the Beagles I've ever had and those I have met have been very friendly with meeting new people and are pretty social with other dogs. They are bred to work within a pack, so aggression or fearfulness towards other dogs is not of the standard temperament.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Your picture didn't show. But thank you so much. The breeder I have spoken with has 25 years into breeding for show and work
They are the under 13 inch size but he told me there is no such thing as a "pocket" beagle just a smaller size beagle. I was hesitant but this gives me hope

What health test is he doing on his breeding dogs? Here's a link that discusses some test that a beagle breeder should be doing https://www.pawprintgenetics.com/blog/2014/09/14/inherited-diseases-beagle/

Is he breeding for a sound temperament?

He may be breeding for smaller sized beagles, but by doing so he is breeding dogs outside of the breed standard, so I question how he is breeding for show since being smaller then 13" would be a fault.

Pocket Beagles | Tiny and Miniature Beagle Dogs

·
Banned
66 Posts
Ignore Carl484a, he/she/it is our personal forum troll and nothing more.
@smithfamilydog 25 years' breeding doesn't mean much these days unfortunately. Do they have a website by any chance? Have you been able to peek at their awards for their breeding dogs?
Not really a troll (although I can understand that interpretation). Mainly a crotchety old fart that doesn't like to waste time with niceties (not much time left).

My hobby is computer hardware and I cut my forum "teeth" arguing with 25 yo males. Lot of edge in those forums. Anything I post here would be considered wimpy there. Not everyone has to be Mary Poppins:)

·
Registered
876 Posts
Not really a troll (although I can understand that interpretation). Mainly a crotchety old fart that doesn't like to waste time with niceties (not much time left).

My hobby is computer hardware and I cut my forum "teeth" arguing with 25 yo males. Lot of edge in those forums. Anything I post here would be considered wimpy there. Not everyone has to be Mary Poppins:)
The rules for the forum have something to say about that actually. You might want to reconsider.

I did some googling about breed standards. You CAN have a beagle under 13" and still have them show quality, you just can't go OVER size without it being a flaw. Which really doesn't bode well for the tiny dog craze and beagles.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Sorry, but I need to hijack this thread. Nazi moderators are cramping my style.

Do you folks pay attention to breed when acquiring a dog? Or are other aspects more important?

If you do pay attention to breed, why did you choose the breed you did?

I love dachshunds. I chose them as my favorite dog because they are hunters (which to me the perfect dog should be as it evolved from the wolf, perhaps the greatest hunter on earth). Secondly I chose them because they are independent, and thirdly because they are loyal and affectionate.

Why did you choose your dog?

·
Banned
66 Posts
I wasn't being negative. Life is too short (4 years left for me at best). The Dachshund pups will outlive me and I worry about that.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Sorry, but I need to hijack this thread. Nazi moderators are cramping my style.
Do you folks pay attention to breed when acquiring a dog? Or are other aspects more important?

If you do pay attention to breed, why did you choose the breed you did?

I love dachshunds. I chose them as my favorite dog because they are hunters (which to me the perfect dog should be as it evolved from the wolf, perhaps the greatest hunter on earth). Secondly I chose them because they are independent, and thirdly because they are loyal and affectionate.

Why did you choose your dog?
The site won't let me post, but only respond:(
MANY members (mods included) are having issues with various features on the forum atm. It's a system/tech issue, not something mods are doing. Our admin is aware and looking into it.

Rather than assume the worst about us mods perhaps let us know when you are having such issues.

Furthermore, please let's keep this thread on topic as per forum rules. I am aware that you are unable to start a new thread however, your past thread about doxies is a far more appropriate location for your above questions and thoughts on your breed. ;)

And to all... no breed bashing! Please and thank you!:thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts