Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even if my bf and I do it ourselves he chews on our hands etc. We have began doing a couple nails at a time, giving him a treat and praising him, then let him be and do it in a day or so with the other nails. It doesn't seem to work much lol. Any ideas on how to get him to calm down? HE HATES THE PEDIPAW THING!!!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Even if my bf and I do it ourselves he chews on our hands etc. We have began doing a couple nails at a time, giving him a treat and praising him, then let him be and do it in a day or so with the other nails. It doesn't seem to work much lol. Any ideas on how to get him to calm down? HE HATES THE PEDIPAW THING!!!
when i have a dog that hates it, i start by just giving them treats and touching their feet, for a while, gradually progressing to light toe and toe nail squeezes, giving really tastey treats the whole time. then i have the clippers present and just let them sniff them while i play with the feet. again, treating the whole time. break it up int a few short sessions a day and don't overwhelm him, obviously ifyou can get him used to it, you'll be able to clip his nails more often and keep them shorter later. then you could clip one nail and reward heavily. it may help to have your bf treat while your clip or viceversa....
i've read different opinions about muzzling, i'm not recommending it, but suggesting looking into it if you think it may be necessary. i've had to muzzle dogs to trim nails before because they really really needed to be clipped and the dog would have bitten otherwise.
good luck

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when i have a dog that hates it, i start by just giving them treats and touching their feet, for a while, gradually progressing to light toe and toe nail squeezes, giving really tastey treats the whole time. then i have the clippers present and just let them sniff them while i play with the feet. again, treating the whole time. break it up int a few short sessions a day and don't overwhelm him, obviously ifyou can get him used to it, you'll be able to clip his nails more often and keep them shorter later. then you could clip one nail and reward heavily. it may help to have your bf treat while your clip or viceversa....
i've read different opinions about muzzling, i'm not recommending it, but suggesting looking into it if you think it may be necessary. i've had to muzzle dogs to trim nails before because they really really needed to be clipped and the dog would have bitten otherwise.
good luck
TY for your answer. I would never muzzle him since he is not being aggressive. If he was really biting then I either would muzzle him or use a downer and do it. We just did his two back "raptor claws", he has two fully attached toes on his back feet and the nails are crazy long even when trimmed to the quick lol. He did not flinch so we gave him a treat and praised him and let him go. Figure if we just do a few nails at a time he will stay settle and hopefully one day he wont freak out at all. We have had him since middle/late March and have been doing this since then but maybe not often enough. Guess we are on the right path just have to do it more and use treats when touching his back feet even without nail trimming to get him used to us touching his feet before forcing nail trimming on him. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
TY for your answer. I would never muzzle him since he is not being aggressive. If he was really biting then I either would muzzle him or use a downer and do it. We just did his two back "raptor claws", he has two fully attached toes on his back feet and the nails are crazy long even when trimmed to the quick lol. He did not flinch so we gave him a treat and praised him and let him go. Figure if we just do a few nails at a time he will stay settle and hopefully one day he wont freak out at all. We have had him since middle/late March and have been doing this since then but maybe not often enough. Guess we are on the right path just have to do it more and use treats when touching his back feet even without nail trimming to get him used to us touching his feet before forcing nail trimming on him. Thanks again!!!
yes, it seems like a lot, but it will work, just takes patience

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts