Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 3yo Beagle. He's well trained, he is walked daily, other than about 4 hours a day someone is always here he gets plenty of attention. He is outside most of the day and I can see him calmly laying in his kennel or on the lawn. When we let him In after dinner though, he will wander around the house sniffing and when I finally make him lay on his bed he will lick and chew his feet or scratch his ears. He won't stop even if we ignore him for half an hour. If I tell him off he will get off his bed and lay elsewhere on the floor and start doing it again. He's clean, he has no fleas or skin conditions. Normally someone will get irritated and put him outside again where he will immediately stop doing it. It's definitely a behavioral issue but I'm at a loss as to what to do about it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
It could be something inside that's causing an allergy or he's not accustomed to being indoors so feels anxious. Have you tried giving him something to chew on to distract him?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's not really a you kinda dog. He is used to being inside, he was inside alot more with his previous owner (we've had him 12 months). I doubt its an allergy, our house is tiled, no allergens and he has his own bed that he had when we got him (its been vaccuumed but no chemicals). He's washed and flea treated as well. I think if it was allergies he would still be itchy after he's been inside but he's not. His skin isn't red or irritated. His temperament is quite arrogant, he will come when he's ready. He knows to sit, lay down, stop barking. He just has very selective listening. If I really growl at him to stop licking he will stop, and glare at me, and when he thinks I'm not paying attention he will start again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should mention I've had dogs my whole life. Big and small. And horses and other animals. I've thought of all the usual issues, tried a few different tactics with him. Seeking out a forum was kind of last resort. I can tolerate it but its really getting on my husband's nerves and I'm not quite sure how to deal with it. Sometimes he's a great dog, and sometimes he doesn't seem to care for us at all. He was a give away, but not a rescue in the traditional sense. He hasn't been abused or neglected, but he does seem to be used to getting his way. He has a real "eff you" way about him when you ask anything of him. A hard dog to bond with. But - we made a commitment to giving him a home, I would just like to find a way to make it work that doesn't involve leaving him in the yard all the time.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Allergens are everywhere, no matter if you have tiled floors or not. It could be what you use to clean the floors, laundry detergent, etc. He could be allergic to something inside causing the scratching/itching as you say he stops when he's outside. When you say that you make him lay on his bed, why can't he roam around? Maybe he's anxious because he's made to lay on the bed and doesn't want to. When I mentioned giving something to chew on, I meant something high value like a big bone not a toy or give him a lot of exercise before coming inside so he's too tired to lick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts