Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! New here. :)

So, I adopted a dog I thought was/told was a beagle/lab mix. I sometimes get people asking if she is part pit bull.

Photos are here: https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/26383881

She is smallish (under 30lbs) and long legged and has a normal sized nose and floppy ears. Her chest isn't wide, either. In fact, I'd describe her as very light and lean - I've wondered if she has some kind of greyhound/whippet type dog in her since she's just so willowy. I can kind of see why people might say that since they may have seen pits with her markings before, but in my opinion she just doesn't have the build for it. I do also get asked if she's a beagle as well, so it's not just the pit that I get. I honestly think she's probably a heinz 57.

I'm only slightly concerned about this because my apartment doesn't allow bully breeds or mixes. No one has said anything yet, but it just takes one nervous nelly to get kicked out.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
917 Posts
I don't see pit in her. The pubic is really bad at guessing breeds. I've had people ask if my lab/pointer is a pit bull. Nothing about him says pit. I also had someone ask if my basset hound was a puggle.

Reactions: artsystacey

·
Registered
880 Posts
I had a person at the dog park ask if Trucker was a Vizsla/Pit mix. Um, no. It is the bully breed assumption, that when they don't know what the breed is it must be part bully.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
looks more like some kind of hound mix to me.
I don't see any Pittie in her.

I agree the with the public being bat at guessing dog breeds... i had people ask if my registered and quite standard conform Boxer (he was a bit too tall) was a sighthound and of if my 40 kg DC mix was a French Bulldog...I wouldn't trust random people on thjat topic farther than I can throw them.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I agree that it doesn't look like there are any bully breed features in her. I'd say Beagle/Lab is a fair guess. Heinz 57 sounds about right too! Oddly some people think any rescue dog is some sort of Pit, but people's abilities to identify "Pit Bulls" is terrible. I've heard ridiculous stories of purebred Labradors and even pure Greyhounds (!) being called "Pit Bulls". I'd just guess hound and retriever or just "all American" at this point though. Best of luck with your new pup!

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
She looks like a hound to me. Her head, muzzle, and chest are all wrong for a pit mix.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I could see Italian Greyhound/Beagle

Example:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts