Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5-year old beagle/hound mix that up until last week had no problems using the back door doggy door to get into an area of my back yard that is fenced in. That is where she would do her business all well and fine. And then suddenly she started to use the carpeted areas of my home as her bathroom and refused to go into the yard. She had no problems using a different door in my house and going into other areas of my yard outside the fence (though she has to be leashed or she will take off for the woods). When I try to bring her back into the fenced in area she resists with all her might. I was wondering if perhaps she received a spook of some kind while in the fenced-in area, perhaps an encounter with a wild animal (I live up against the woods in a rural area). I even try to lure her into the fenced-in area with her favorite treat (and went so far as to use roasted turkey!) and she wanted nothing of it. She truly seems petrified of the fenced in portion of my yard, but only recently. What in the world??

·
Registered
260 Posts
We had this happen one with a corner of our back yard. We also live in a heavily wooded area, so we run into wildlife all the time. Come to find out we had a large snake nest in that corner, that extended even out side of the fence. It took several boxes of moth balls and 6 months to get rid of it. They where not above ground where u could see them but below ground. We no check every year and still put out moth balls to we safe.

I'm not saying this is why she won't go back there but she could know something that you don't. Hope this helps some:D.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the insight. I have noticed that my other dog (a shepherd mix) has started digging in certain parts of my fenced yard. There may indeed be something underground that has my beagle spooked. A quick walk around the yard revealed nothing obvious as far as wild animal signs, but I may try digging where the shepherd was, just to see. In the meantime, it will be plenty of puppy pads in the house and walks to other parts of the yard. Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts