Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted Scout at 3 months & he was listed as a beagle mix but it became obvious that there was some other breed(s) that were more dominant. From the start he was extremely strong for a young pup, could run faster than any other dog I'd seen, could jump over baby gates from a stand without even touching it, could jump several feet from couch to couch, has jaws of steel and he's getting more so as he's grown. Several people have said he looks like a Black Mouth Cur which I wasn't familiar with before. His lips and pallet are black, inside of cheeks not so much. He had double rear dew claws. I'm very interested to see what everyone here thinks. At 9 months he weighs 32 pounds and is about 17" at the withers. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
hm...I never met any black mouth cur, but I think your dog looks like a pretty average mix of hound and German shepherd Dog.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the first thing we thought because of the black muzzle. He's very intelligent and easy to train too.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I actually thought more because of the nose and the face in general. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, we stopped thinking German Shepherd because the vet didn't see it. They're also strong & fast & smart so you could be right!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
If he's from the south then he is likely a hound dog mix, very possibly with Black Mouth Cur or other cur dog. A lot of Southern dogs--even certain breeds like cur dogs can have a very generic "country dog" look that's hard to pinpoint. This is usually because they're bred as working dogs and any purity isn't considered as important. Your pup is definitely an All American" type of dog!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Black mouth cur's are super easy to pick out as they have (total) black on the insides of their mouths/pallets/gums (this trait I believe carries through even in mixed breeds).

·
Registered
880 Posts
The name 'Black Mouth' refers to the dark pigmentation around the lips that also extends into the interior of the mouth including the roof of the mouth, gums, and cheeks, excluding the tongue
It didn't let me edit:

I am thinking T
reeing Walker Coonhound/Mountain Cur or Treeing Walker Coonhound/Black Mouth Cur

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is exactly what I need to know because the roof is black, the rest is kind of mixed. When I go home for lunch I'm going to take a good look inside his mouth for a better description. If indeed it should be completely black in a mix then I'm back to square one. Not knowing where to get that info I've been assuming a mix might not be completely black. Does anyone know one way or the other?

·
Registered
880 Posts
I think that it might not be completely black but there would defiantly be some black (I would think). From his stance I see Cur though either Mountain or Black Mouth, it is a straighter hind ends that leads to a stiff-legged stance (it is a Coonhound/Cur trait).

Here are the breeds that I believe he could be a mix of (the mountain cur too has black inside of mouth if their nose if black)
United Kennel Club: Black Mouth Cur
United Kennel Club: Mountain Cur
United Kennel Club: Treeing Walker Coonhound

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You seem very knowledgeable about curs and I appreciate that you took the time to share so much information with me.

·
Registered
880 Posts
You seem very knowledgeable about curs and I appreciate that you took the time to share so much information with me.
I have done a lot of research on Southern Breeds (Coonhounds/Curs) as they are my favorites and where my dog comes from and I think that knowing breed origin helps to know expectations. :) It isn't always perfect that they fall into standards purebred or mixed but it can give you ideas of where to start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We thought we knew what to expect with Scout because he's a "beagle mix" but he's a lot more like a black mouth cur, which we knew nothing about. I guess we got lucky because he's the sweetest dog I've ever known, and the biggest pain! I'm going to proceed as though he's a cur to try to understand why he acts the way he does & what he needs. Maybe I'm totally wrong, I'm sure my vet will tell me so, but my gut says he's black mouth cur from Tennessee. That's my story & I'm going to stick with it!

·
Registered
880 Posts
We thought we knew what to expect with Scout because he's a "beagle mix" but he's a lot more like a black mouth cur, which we knew nothing about. I guess we got lucky because he's the sweetest dog I've ever known, and the biggest pain! I'm going to proceed as though he's a cur to try to understand why he acts the way he does & what he needs. Maybe I'm totally wrong, I'm sure my vet will tell me so, but my gut says he's black mouth cur from Tennessee. That's my story & I'm going to stick with it!
He defiantly has a lot of Coonhound/Cur features so that's what I would stick with that he is a mix of them. With the way you said he jumps and where he is from he might have some Fiest thrown in there but build wise I don't see it.

This is a video of my Redbone Coonhound not really even trying all that hard (it was the first time he followed the cat over the baby gate):
http://vid465.photobucket.com/album...irst Snow/VID_20701216_025626_zpsgeo2iwav.mp4

Coonhounds can clear a 6 to 8ft fence with really not much problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hahah, I recognize that move! When Scout was 6 months we got him neutered & also removed the floppy dew claws on his back feet (he had double dews - we left the other one alone). Anyway, I dropped him off at 8 am & they said they'd call me around 3:30 to get him, maybe a little sooner if he's up and around. I got the call at 11:45 am to come and get him because he was awake & playing. They were laughing, they never had a dog snap out of it so quickly.

The following day we planned on leaving him in a bedroom with a baby gate because he couldn't fit in his crate with the cone of shame. So before I went to work I put up the gate, took one step back and he made that same move, like a deer, didn't even touch the gate. That's when we knew we were in trouble. And he wasn't nearly as big as your guy, I think he was about as tall as the gate and he had a cone on & both his back feet were bandaged up! We ended up buying a bigger crate for dogs 70-90 lbs.

We have a couch that's not against a wall. Last weekend he jumped over it in one bound trying to keep me from taking my shoe away from him. We also think he was trying to climb our spruce tree.

I'm pretty worried that he'll be able to jump over our 4' fence, hopefully he doesn't grow any more!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Hahah, I recognize that move! When Scout was 6 months we got him neutered & also removed the floppy dew claws on his back feet (he had double dews - we left the other one alone). Anyway, I dropped him off at 8 am & they said they'd call me around 3:30 to get him, maybe a little sooner if he's up and around. I got the call at 11:45 am to come and get him because he was awake & playing. They were laughing, they never had a dog snap out of it so quickly.

The following day we planned on leaving him in a bedroom with a baby gate because he couldn't fit in his crate with the cone of shame. So before I went to work I put up the gate, took one step back and he made that same move, like a deer, didn't even touch the gate. That's when we knew we were in trouble. And he wasn't nearly as big as your guy, I think he was about as tall as the gate and he had a cone on & both his back feet were bandaged up! We ended up buying a bigger crate for dogs 70-90 lbs.

We have a couch that's not against a wall. Last weekend he jumped over it in one bound trying to keep me from taking my shoe away from him. We also think he was trying to climb our spruce tree.

I'm pretty worried that he'll be able to jump over our 4' fence, hopefully he doesn't grow any more!
Trucker seems to really like his pen and not to want to jump out of it. If you have a jumping problem you might want to look it this because he can have food, a bone, and water which will generally keep them entertained (Trucker has a treat and train which drops treats are timed intervals for him).
Amazon.com : MidWest Exercise Pen with Door, 48-Inch, Black : Pet Playpens : Pet Supplies

Climbing the Spruce makes sense if he has Walker in him.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you know if using their paws like a cat or hugging you like a human is a trait of southern pups? He has a lot of dexterity in his paws, we've all been a little surprised that holds on to us like he has hands.

Also, he seems to have a lot more whiskers than our beagle did, though maybe his are darker & we just notice them more. I would think all dogs have the same amount of whiskers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts