Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 3 year old Australian Shepherd, who will not let me put medicine in her ear, or tick medicine on her coat, ( we give her oral tick meds). Our Vet clinic is closed due to the cornavirus. I know this is a rather unconventional question but do you think Benedryl would dry out her ear. She does let me bathe her and I was very careful not to get water in her ears, because of this problem, but it happened anyway. I ordered some dry ear solution, organic, but it won't get here until Friday. I figured I could muzzle her if I have to to get the solution in, but that is traumatic for both of us. Anyone have any ideas? Her ear at this point doesn't seem to bother her at all. Thank-you, Zanna

·
Super Moderator
3,744 Posts
While your vet clinic may be closed to most appointments, your vet may still be answering phone calls. See if you can send a photo to your vet and get some advice that way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I have a 3 year old Australian Shepherd, who will not let me put medicine in her ear, or tick medicine on her coat, ( we give her oral tick meds). Our Vet clinic is closed due to the cornavirus. I know this is a rather unconventional question but do you think Benedryl would dry out her ear. She does let me bathe her and I was very careful not to get water in her ears, because of this problem, but it happened anyway. I ordered some dry ear solution, organic, but it won't get here until Friday. I figured I could muzzle her if I have to to get the solution in, but that is traumatic for both of us. Anyone have any ideas? Her ear at this point doesn't seem to bother her at all. Thank-you, Zanna

my dog has one very red ear as well, im not sure if its from excessive baths as a baby as he would pee all over himself in his crate everyday so ended up needing ALOT of baths. Hes now 7 months old and doesnt get many baths at all anymore and one of his ears is very red on the inside all the time. Doesnt seem to be bugging him but im wondering if all those baths dried out his ear and since i didnt know it was cause the baths couldnt fix it so it stayed red?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maybe? I ordered some organic oils that you wipe inside the ear to help dry it from Petco. Hope it helps and she will let me put it on her.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My dog hates anything being done with his ears, cleaning, drops etc. I live alone so I have no option but to handle it myself. I smear peanut butter or snack cheese (that stuff in a can) on the counter and while he’s licking it off I tend to his ears. Works every time!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts