Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We rescued this little Goddess and because of some curious behavior we are wondering her breed. She licks and bathes herself - usually her hips, legs and feet. She hides under our bed and makes the most unusual sounds - it almost sounds like she is talking and its you repeat her sounds she will almost have a conversation with you. She has the curly tail and her ears are usually erect but flop over at the tips. OUR PROBLEM... she has not socialized well despite our neverending attempts. She hates other dogs (especially dogs bigger than her), she does not like people except those she owns, and she goes nuts when anyone knocks at the door or tries to enter our house. She does well at the groomer - as long as we are not around. We love her and have no intention of giving her up. We live in a very rural area and will continue to attempt to socialize her, but were wondering if it might be her breed that is making it so difficult. Basenji/Heeler mix?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We were thinking that because of the color she had to have red heeler. Pug would explain the curly tail and she has the build of a terrior. She is adorable. She looks like she has eye liner, perfectly applied - it makes me jealous! We were thinking Basenji because of the tail and the odd howling and licking, and the dislike of all things living except HER humans. Sometimes she sounds like a drunken pirate under the bed (aarrhhh) and a pirate in pain (eeerrrr) and she has so much personality. She was easy to house train, but she still "happy pees" we come in after being gone for a while. I think I need to get a trainer to help with the socialization. She is a year old so maybe it is not too late. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
It's never too late to train a dog no matter how old. Kuma my rescue came to me at age 6 and his 7 years old and I have trained a lot of things with him. Don't believe what the old saying is. It is never too old to train an old dog new tricks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts