Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a tiny pitbull(She was the Runt)named nova and a bigger pit bull named Dinky. Nova about 1 and a half year's old, while dinky is three.

I got nova from my sister when she was about 6 months old, I noticed right off the bat she had barrier frustration the first day I met her, cause she was in her kennel and growled and barked when I touched it. When I brought her home it was always work to try to get her into the kennel, I would have to chase her around the table, but she didn't growl or bark when I got her in.

I've noticed lately when ever Nova is put into her kennel, if anyone touches it or walks to close she will growl/bark and lung at the person or hand, but if I take her out everything is fine. Sometimes near 10PM(The time I kennel them every night) she will stand in front of her kennel like she is guarding it, and if Dinky walks past she will stare him down and start to growl but never attacks. How can I fix this? I don't want her to be mean and all, and I fear that this will turn into a bigger problem.

Also, when ever I grab there food bowls, Nova will go into alert mode watching the doorway for dinky, and if she sees him she will stare him down and growl, and if she comes to close she will lunge at him. I started to train her very hard and she stopped the lunging even if dinky is sitting right next to his food bowl, but she will still growl. I was wondering if you know any good tips to stop this.

Nova is a pretty tiny pit bull, but she still can hurt dinky because he isn't violent at all, he is laid back and lazy.

Nova has never showed aggression towards other dogs or humans besides Dinky or if someone touches her kennel when she is inside.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
She may need to re-learn that the crate is a GOOD place to be! Koda was starting to dislike her crate at one point-nowhere near to the same level as your dog, but still was unhappy about going in. I started randomly leaving treats in there, feeding her in there and now she books in in there whenever she thinks it's time for a meal.

The resource guarding is a separate issue that needs to be addressed. Koda has also done this to a much more mild extent-we now play fetch with treats so she 'drops it' rather than plays 'keep away', and we're working up with items slowly.

Hopefully this helps a bit and you can look some more stuff up until someone else posts with better advice. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts