Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went up to the barn to pay board yesterday. My mother is afraid of horses and can't go into the field, but she's fine if I take mine out... and I need the extra pair of hands to measure his blanket size. So I went into the tack room to find my halter and lead.

All of my stuff is gone.

My grooming kit, my customized halter and lead, my bridle, my saddle, everything. I'm going back up soon to see if someone may have moved it to another room, but you would think someone would have tried to contact me? I'm so frustrated. I don't have a spare $1,000 laying around to buy all this stuff again.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
You board? I would speak with your barn owner/manager. You pay board so that you can rest assure that your horse and your stuff is safe. Something should be done about it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@jclark343 I've already spoken with the property owner. She asked one of her stable hands about it who, in turn, told us that my things should be in the tack room. I called my ex-boss just in case cause I had to bring stuff up at one point when the barn was renovating. Turns out he has my saddle and bridle... but that doesn't explain where my other things are. Basically they're saying my things are there when they obviously arent...

Not the only reason I'm moving from the barn. They don't check on the horses at all. I explicitly told them over the winter I would not be able to come up due to weather conditions and work. I said that if my horse started losing weight to open my (clearly marked) bag of feed and asked them if they would mind rotating his blanket if the weather got warmer. They confirmed. They never checked him. Thank heaven he kept well on grass and hay (I was worried cause... Thoroughbred). When I was able to make it up, I took his blanket off and he had horrible rubs on his neck and shoulders, and his entire back was covered in open sores and scabs... I'm very unhappy.

I found a co-op that may work, so hopefully I'll get him out of there asap.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Why would your saddle and bridle be moved without your permission anyway. I would go down there and find your stuff. And if not, ask the owner of the property to reimburse you. That is ridiculous.

Reactions: leashedForLife

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
I agree with @jclark343

The whole thing seems quite odd.

Also, regardless of what they say, if you're not paying for the service of blanketing, I'm not surprised they aren't doing it. At the end of the day, they're running a business and they need to be compensated for their time. Similar to a dog boarding facility- they typically won't take your dog for a walk unless you pay them for it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
@Aspen726 I pay for them to take care of my horse. That's what their service is supposed to be. That's what was outlined to me before I brought him there. The only thing they told me I would have to do is feed him myself if he required grain, which he typically does not.

The entire operation has been getting more shady the longer I stay. At one point I was told by another boarder that they (workers/instructors) had allowed a disabled child to go into the field by themselves to fetch the lesson horse (which looks nothing like mine) and they caught mine instead... and somehow they either didn't want to correct the child or they actually didn't notice the difference until they had him going to jump over an oxer. My horse is GREEN and had never seen a jump. They suddenly noticed it was a boarded horse and stopped them, thank heaven. They both could have been seriously hurt. I brought that up with the instructor as well, who confirmed the incident.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Do you have a boarding contract? It should all be outlined in there. If blanketing isn't in there, they aren't required to do it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Aspen726 They don't do paperwork (which I honestly hate but I was in a pinch and couldn't take him elsewhere).

I was specifically told that boarding included blanketing. But you know as long as there's no documentation they can neglect my horse all they like regardless of how much money I'm paying them.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Well, good thing you're getting him out of there... even if you have to draft it yourself, I recommend getting a boarding contract at your next facility. They protect both the farm and the owner. Personally, I would never board without one.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Aspen726 I agree. Normally I wouldn't have, but I had been given a deadline to find a new place for him in order for me not to have to pay board at two places in the same month... I literally had days to find a place and move him.

The new place (hoping I get voted in) is big on paperwork. They even keep copies of all boarders' vet documents on the premesis. It's a coop situation so everybody takes care of everybody's horses on scheduled days and it's never unbalanced.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts