Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I got a dog a week ago. She's 2,5 years old and gets plenty of attention and exercise. But a problem we're experiencing is that she barks at everything. When someone comes home, when she's alone downstairs, when she sees our rabbits move in the garden, when our neighbours are in the garden, when the phone rings. Basically everything that makes sound she will bark at.

Does anyone have an idea on how to stop her from barking?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
626 Posts
I have one. Smear something like wet dog food, squeezy cheese, yoghurt or meat paste in an old yoghurt pot. When she barks, let her lick that - she cant lick and bark at the same time. While she is licking, tell her ”good quiet” or whatever cue you want to use. After a couple of weeks you can start to fade out the yoghurt pot.

·
Super Moderator
626 Posts
@Jilly Ruby Jane and @lilybarnes we do not recommend the use of anti bark collars or other aversive tools. I have therefore edited the post above to remove the recommendation.

With an anti bark collar you might at best interrupt your dog's barking, but you have not trained him to stop or actually resolved the issue. So if he isn't able to bark at whatever is causing the barking, you are very likely to see him find an alternative behaviour which might be worse than the barking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts