Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

So,a friend of mine recently got a dog.She's a small one,around 8 kilos,mixed breed,one year old.

And oh,does she bark.

She barks at everything.Alarms,phones,people,dogs,cats.Everything.My friend is pretty desperate and I can't really help because I've never had issues like that with Echo.He barks once a year.

We've already looked it up online but I need more info and I want to be on the safe side.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Yes! First of all, how much exercise is he getting? How much attention, play, etc.? A bored dog will absolutely bark to burn off energy and amuse themselves.

If that's not the issue, this video is a good one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Teach a "Quiet" or "Hush" command. Every time the dog quiets on their own, reward. The dog will learn that when it quiets, it gets rewarded. Then when the dog quickly quiets, before you think the dog will stop barking, say your command ONCE, wait until the barking stops, and reward.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A lot of things can be causing the dog to bark, Amarylis can be right and maybe she does not get much attention. Or maybe she is calling for your attention. Teach a hush command and reward everytime. Train your dog, the results will be rewarding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i found the best thing ever for correcting bad behavior. It's call Pet Corrector and it comes in a red can. It gives off a loud hissing when sprayed. My dogs stop whatever they are doing when I use it. Don't buy it from a pet store though, it's expensive. Ebay has it for less money.

Barbara J Morgan - Author

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
i found the best thing ever for correcting bad behavior. It's call Pet Corrector and it comes in a red can. It gives off a loud hissing when sprayed. My dogs stop whatever they are doing when I use it. Don't buy it from a pet store though, it's expensive. Ebay has it for less money.

Barbara J Morgan - Author
This does not deal with why the dog is barking. Scaring a dog into shutting up doesn't make them less bored or frightened, it just shuts them up. If you want to help your dog (and you don't want to deal with the same issue popping up in other ways), you need to figure out why they're barking and then deal with that.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
This does not deal with why the dog is barking. Scaring a dog into shutting up doesn't make them less bored or frightened, it just shuts them up. If you want to help your dog (and you don't want to deal with the same issue popping up in other ways), you need to figure out why they're barking and then deal with that.
Depends on the dog a lot. These compressed air cans scare some dogs, to others they just produce an unpleasent sound and for some serve only as a brief distraction.

So it's not always scaring them into shutting up. Regardless a dog thats barking at everything is does not need to be taught not to bark at something. It's a dog that is probably scared or startled by these sounds, the OP should try to resocialize from scratch while counter conditioning. Make all these new stimuli fun positive things rather than scary potential threats.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
If you go to Youtube and look up kikopup, she has trainings on how to deal with barking dogs.(As well as other issues and she helps with teaching tricks too.) She also goes into detail about why dogs bark. Many of us use her videos and she comes highly recommended by many of us here on the forum. Here is one I found. I know she has another one where she worked on training her chi mix to not bark at the door or when her cell phone goes off.

https://youtu.be/Jp_l9C1yT1g

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you go to Youtube and look up kikopup, she has trainings on how to deal with barking dogs.(As well as other issues and she helps with teaching tricks too.) She also goes into detail about why dogs bark. Many of us use her videos and she comes highly recommended by many of us here on the forum. Here is one I found. I know she has another one where she worked on training her chi mix to not bark at the door or when her cell phone goes off.

https://youtu.be/Jp_l9C1yT1g

I love Kikopup!

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
13) Respect the forum's posting guidelines.
DogForum.com promotes a force free training philosophy based on learning theory and scientific research. We also promote educated debate on training methods. It is ok to discuss the merits of different training equipment as well as techniques, but it is NOT ok to promote or suggest any training equipment or technique that uses fear, pain, intimidation or is based in positive punishment ("P+"of the 4 quadrants). Please refer to: http://www.dogforum.com/dogforum-community-rules/forum-rules-guidelines-training-behavior-please-23692/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts