Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to you guys what is the best remedy against barking?

My samoyed pup is starting to bark at the slightest thing and i have no idea which way to go with it. I know her mum was a loud barker and i really don't want her to be the same.

Any advice is appreciated :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would choose a spot or a bed and teach her to settle there whenever she starts to bark. My beagle mix can be loud, and I tell her to go to her bed when she does until she calms. She quickly learned its more fun to just watch instead of having to go lay down.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
1. Look up its yer choice, it's an impulse control exercise.

2. Don't respond to barking. If it gets her attention, even just occasionally, she'll keep doing it.

3. Reward good behaviour, even the stuff you didnt ask for. If she's sitting quietly, treat! Laying down with a toy, treat! Look for good moments and reward them, every day.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
both our dogs have/had a bit of guarding instinct, so they'd bark when they heard something.
what helped was actually listen to them. Staying calm, not shouting at them, stand up and look outside if there's something, then I told them "there's nothing, everything alright" and send them calmly to their place.
now it perhaps 1-3 times a day, I hear Sancho bark...usually when there someone he doesn't know (he knows all the neighbours and the postman) is standing to long infront of our house. It's okay for me as long as he stops barking and can be send away without a problem.

Reactions: Carl484a

·
Banned
66 Posts
My dogs love to bark. And I like for them to do what they love to do. I give them an "ata boy" for letting me know what's going on, but then let them know that is enough. "Good boy, now quiet". They are catching on.

Go with the flow and gently guide them to what you expect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.